DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Brand News, Concepts & Rumors (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/brand-news-concepts-and-rumors-29/)
-   -   Would a Twin Turbo V6 be accepted as a Hemi replacement? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/brand-news-concepts-and-rumors/181875-would-a-twin-turbo-v6-be-accepted-as-a-hemi-replacement.html)

mantisman51 12-05-2008 08:46 PM

Oh yeah, the turbo Porches:
911 Turbo A-5 3.6/6 15/23
M-6 3.6/6 16/23

911 Turbo Cabriolet A-5 3.6/6 15/23

And, bear in mind, these cars weigh about 1500-2000 pounds less than Chrysler's AND the best fuel mileage for Porsche is 26 mpg highway for the 6 speed manual standard Carrera. HMMMM. Fuel economy doesn't seem to be a good reason to switch to V6's, after all.

Nofrag 12-05-2008 11:14 PM

Fuel economy to performance, the Porsche wins out in that comparison though. And comparing American 6's to American 6's is comparing idiots to morons, whoever wins they're both still stupid. There isn't one north American company that can properly tune an engine. And that is the problem, every time they design a new platform they make a mapping program for the ecm, if joe tuner can take his car to the local dyno shop and get a near stoic tune in his civic for a few hundred bucks, why can't they do it with the people they already employ to make the fuel maps?

The only thing they would have to add to get proper tunes in the computers is a wideband o2 sensor, and that would be dirt cheap for them, they retail for $300, so I imagine it would cost them about three bucks to add them to their cars. By now they should be able to create a dynamic tuning program for the ecm that would read vac/boost, egt, afr, etc and keep the car stoic at any rpm or load. They have no excuses for inneficiency except laziness and stupidity.

lxman1 12-06-2008 01:34 AM

I'm gonna say not as a replacement for the Hemi, but a nice option.
I have always preferred a V8 myself. But if the power is right along the lines of the Eco-Boost Ford engines and the lifetime warranty applies, I might consider one.

DevilsReject 12-09-2008 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by mantisman51 (Post 1472160)
BUICK
Lucerne A-4 3.8/6 16/25

CADILLAC
DTS A-4 4.6/8 15/22

CHEVROLET
Impala A-4 3.5/6 18/29

CHRYSLER
300/SRT-8 A-4 2.7/6 18/26
A-4 3.5/6 17/24
A-5 3.5/6 17/24
A-5 5.7/8 15/23

I copied and pasted these directly from the EPA website. A-4 = Automatic 4 speed.
3.5/6 = 3.5L V6 etc. Although this looks complicated, it is simple. Chrysler is not lagging to the GM products. If you compare horsepower to MPG, Chrysler is far ahead. I put GM's best 2 Full size V6 MPG up for comparison. Also, I put the highest performance Chrysler cars to the middle of the road GM cars. If you were to put the Lucerne 3.8L supercharged, Chryslers 5.7L SRT8, beats it in fuel economy. There is NO BENEFIT in supercharged or twin turbo V6's compared to Chryslers V8's. Don't believe me? Look for yourself. Chrysler leads the pack of American cars:http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/FEG2008.pdf

First off, NONE of the vehicles you listed for GM use a supercharger or turbo on those V6's. Cadillac, Chevy, Buick, none of those models are forced induction.

I happen to own a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with the same 3.8L V6 that's in the Lucerne although mine is supercharged, and I dunno where you got those numbers...but they are crap...

I average roughly 22mpg in city, and about 26 highway....and thats with a factory tune and stock setup. I've got guys in my GTP club who get 30mpg with quite abit more HP then me, simply because they have a better tune.

The point? Your numbers are completely flawed, and I dont care what the EPA says because those idiots couldnt find their way out of a paper bag. If you actually believe the numbers on the side of your vehicle when you buy it then you are crazy.

I can drive my car around town and average roughly 350 miles per tank....and that's about 16 gallons..which equals out to roughly 22mpg...and almost all of thats city driving..and i have a lead foot..

Midnight SRT 12-09-2008 10:20 PM

He listed his source. A government website. ;)

jdcovert 12-10-2008 08:59 AM

I'd puke if they yanked the hemi out of a 300C or a Charger and replaced it with a TTV6. Even if it cranks out the same HP as the hemi.... I'm just a V8 fan. Theres nothing like a V8. But thats just my humble redneck opinion.

DevilsReject 12-10-2008 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by jdcovert (Post 1476440)
I'd puke if they yanked the hemi out of a 300C or a Charger and replaced it with a TTV6. Even if it cranks out the same HP as the hemi.... I'm just a V8 fan. Theres nothing like a V8. But thats just my humble redneck opinion.

You obviously arent a fan of a turbo diesel then? :cool:

Nofrag 12-10-2008 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by DevilsReject (Post 1475587)
I average roughly 22mpg in city, and about 26 highway....and thats with a factory tune and stock setup. I've got guys in my GTP club who get 30mpg with quite abit more HP then me, simply because they have a better tune.

This is exactly what I've been saying.

DevilsReject 12-10-2008 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Nofrag (Post 1476543)
This is exactly what I've been saying.

And you are absolutely correct.

Why do you think people who get programmers for their trucks see better fuel economy and/or performance gains? It's not like the programmer is really adding anything, its simply modifying whats there already...

Most factory tuned vehicles can be easily modified to perform better with very little in the way or work/money.

grungerockjeeper 12-11-2008 06:58 PM

TT V-6 would be great. But NOT in rwd muscle cars, or large sedans. And especially not in any kind of truck, barring a sporty Dakota. Id have no problem with a factory retrofit for the 3.5L in the Challys, chargers, etc. for those who bought those models for the cheaper price and insurance.

Now on the other hand, if there were a coupe version of the Avenger (like there SHOULD be...) mate a twin turbo 4.0 v-6, awd, and a 5spd manual drivetrain and that would be a hot car. It would completely dominate its competition in fwd v6 coupes like the Eclipse, Accord coupe, and would even trample the Z and RX-8. I would say this could work for the Demon also, but a turbo 4cyl is more in line with what that car is all about.