Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Neon Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 04:15 AM
ChargerSRT8
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neon Replacement

This seems to be a coupe version of that new Caliber. It doesnt look too bad but then again you can't really see it. What interests me though is this...

"The EVO will have a Dodge version, with extensive Chrysler involvement in engineering in the two door version. The four door will be primarily worked on by Mitsubishi engineers, though members of the Neon ACR team are helping them, thanks to their strong rally and SCCA success. (The Neon traces its pedigree back to the Shelby Dodges, partly through John Fernandez). Mitsubishi has been a strong rally car and their engineers are no slouches. We're not exactly sure, though, why Dodge and MMC have switched places on the Rebel - the Stratus/Sebring/Avenger coupes were pretty pure Mitsubishi."

Original Artical can be read Here

[IMG]local://upfiles/8447/775F7F01EFE044E7849BD03CC047CE91.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-01-2005, 09:52 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Neon Replacement

It's hard to tell that it's same car as the Caliber. Those cover-up bras can hide alot though.

Old 03-01-2005, 09:57 PM
lonasindi
Veteran

further there's no way to tell whether it's a two-door or a four-door.

it looks like it has some clean lines though. we can only hope!

Old 03-01-2005, 11:46 PM
66coronet

See http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/rebel.html
This may answer some of your questions.

Old 03-02-2005, 01:20 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I kinda like what I can see of it. Cool if its a Caliber sedan coupe. I just didn't like that Caliber hatchback lookin thing.

Old 03-02-2005, 03:27 AM
OG MagDak
Professional

the car in that little movie definately has a current stratus/sebring body on it, so i guess if it is the caliber anything they have the complete wrong body panels on it.

Old 03-02-2005, 01:53 PM
SRT_YA
Record Breaker

DODGE CIRCLES THE WAGONS WITH NEON REPLACEMENT
Chrysler Group will switch from a conventional four-door sedan to a five-door hatchback
design when it rolls out a replacement for the Dodge Neon, reports Automotive News.
The automaker is showing a five-door concept version of the car, called the Dodge
Caliber, this week ahead of the Geneva auto show.
CEO Dieter Zetsche says Chrysler Group decided to forgo a sedan for two reasons:
poor sales of the sedan and the opportunity with a five-door model to offer greater functionality
and more distinctively “Dodge†styling.
Due next year, the new five-door car will be built off the next-generation, front-drive
Mitsubishi Lancer platform that is expected to be used for at least two other Chrysler
Group vehicles. The new model will be assembled in Belvidere, Ill. In addition to sales in
North America, the car will be exported to Europe. The Caliber moniker is expected to be
carried through to the production vehicle.
Despite its wagon-like appearance, the new vehicle won’t be called a wagon. In an
attempt to avoid the same marketing mistakes it made with the Chrysler Pacifica, the
automaker doesn’t plan to classify the car as a wagon, hatchback or crossover vehicle,
AN says. Instead of spending time promoting a descriptive label for the vehicle, ads will
focus on specific performance and styling attributes.

- AutoTech (sorry for the lack of a "link", but it requires passwords and user names... all of which I am not giving out )

Old 03-02-2005, 07:32 PM
OG MagDak
Professional

yeah so coupe sales arent very high- so lets stop building them. oh ok well sedan sales are down, so lets stop bulding them. hmmm well wagon sales arent so high in the first place- so who cares if there potential to gain market share, so lets stop building them. oh and suv sales are dropping lets stop building them, matter of fact lets just stop building cars and trucks period. dont get me wrong i love chrysler, but chrysler seems to have a very stupid outlook on things some times. if there is only the WAGON and it is a wagon, then they are making another mistake. they do need wagons, but they also need sedans (multiple sizes) and at least one coupe for dodge. for a long time i thought chrysler was neglecting wagon buyers because even though there was virtually no market for them in the U.S. ford gm and every one else still made at least one, while chrysler didnt- so im glad they are now- and they are doing a good job at it but not putting out a sedan would just be them cheaping out on us. instead of trying to get more customers by offering a bigger variety they are just praying that every one just switches to hatchbacks completly? that would be stupid

Old 03-11-2005, 02:49 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

April Motor Trend Article:

A New, Global Neon-Called Caliber

Even before the Daimler-Benz takeover, Chrysler sold Neons in a number of markets outside the U.S. But with DaimlerChrysler taking the Dodge brand to Europe, the 2006 Neon replacement, the Caliber, essentially becomes a world car. It's a good fit: The Caliber is a taller hatchback/wagon-style small car that tickles the edge of Europe's burgeoning multipurpose vehicle segment, and it also fits in with the Dodge wagon/Chrysler sedan strategy.

TALKING POINTS

Platform: Mitsubishi GS
Size: 60.4 inches tall; should have an easy step-in height.
Grille: Dodge crosshair in chrome; large headlamps and foglights.
Roof: Black graphic applique runs along roof into spoiler.
Engines: Most likely 166-horsepower 2.4-liter and possibly a 144-horsepower 2.0.

Old 03-14-2005, 12:06 AM
OG MagDak
Professional

yeah but that strategy is all wrong in my opinon people that are shopping for a chrysler dont cross shop with dodges- they dont even need a neon sized chrysler but they do need a neon sized dodge sedan

Quick Reply: Neon Replacement