Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Chrysler closing 789 dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:20 PM
V8MANual
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say good riddance. Oh yeah, I said that in December on the poll post of should the auto companies be bailed out.

"U.S. dealers are competing with each other instead of other manufacturers. Just look at their ads."

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/off-top...ally-help.html

There's the rest of my rant. I hold the dealers 33% responsible for the manufacturers' problems. The unions and management share the other two thirds.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:51 AM
SilverGhost1
All Star

The two dealers I have dealth with are both getting the axe; 23 Dodge in Butler, NJ (where I bought my truck) and John Hine Dodge here in San Diego. I can see 23 Dodge closing. It was never busy. But John Hine? He is one of the largest dealers in San Diego. This one I am shocked about.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Racinartist
But, many facets of the 'Gubment' DID (and continue to) support and coddle to the corrupt auto unions. Yea yea, I know I know, I'm gonna' get a lot of sh*t for my take on unions. Trust me, I'm used to it! Either way, they are a large reason the American auto industry is in the mess it's in. Agree with me or not, the facts are there for the finding without a whole lot of effort searching for them. Ridiculous payscales/benefits packages alone have been a cancer in the American auto industry for more than a quarter century. And it DOES suck for the rank and files, but they've also benefited from the union's lobbying and stranglehold on the auto companies for years, and weren't willing to see or speak up against what was going on because being a union member benefited their bank accounts.

With THAT said, I scanned the list quick and saw about 30 dealerships in NJ alone. With 2/3 or more of those within an hour of me. And probably another half-dozen or more in east central PA (also within an hour or so drive). The crazy thing is NJ isn't even as big as central TX. Just populated as hell. Neither one of the 3 dealerships I have dealt with is on the list though. It sure has to suck to work for Dodge at this point.
Well, Central Texas hasn't been hit that hard during this recession, so people still have money to spend and this is truck country, so I'm assuming the dealerships haven't been doing that bad.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by SilverGhost1
The two dealers I have dealth with are both getting the axe; 23 Dodge in Butler, NJ (where I bought my truck) and John Hine Dodge here in San Diego. I can see 23 Dodge closing. It was never busy. But John Hine? He is one of the largest dealers in San Diego. This one I am shocked about.
Being large isn't the only criteria they look at. You have to sell vehicles. You have to be profitable. You have to pay Chrysler on time. There could have been one or many things working against them. They were in Chrysler's eyes one of the weaker dealers in the area for one reason or another. Also, they're trying to support dealers who sell more than just Dodge or just Jeep. They want dealers that are selling, Dodge, Chrysler, and Jeep.

Btw, what's your definition of large?

Old 05-17-2009, 11:28 PM
emawk

We all saw this coming. It's unfortunate though.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

None of the dealerships from the cities I'm from are closing.

Wait, there's one closing way down in south Naples, but I've never even heard of them. Maybe that's why they're getting shut down.

Quick Reply: Chrysler closing 789 dealerships