Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

"New" Charger

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 02:28 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by master tech
The front look like a 300 and the back end look like the avenger. And also agree, they need to go back to the two doors, not four doors. Thats why you have the 300 and the avenger.
It's just a name... and the Avenger is a mid size sedan, not a family size sedan. The 300 is a luxury sedans. Three different types of sedans.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:42 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If Dodge wants me to consider buying a Charger (which I would actually prefer them not to as I want a Challenger at this time and don't want to have to choose between the two), the thing they need to change more than anything else is the interior. When I heard the complaints about the interior from the press I naturally assumed that it was the normal cry baby press using their playbook when they bashed the LH line, Cloud cars, and countless other models interior which was way nicer than they moaned about it.

I rented a Charger last year and all I can say is what the heck was I driving because that was not a Chrysler product. The Intrepid had sporty curves in both generations of the dash, that dash looks like a Crown Vic reject. The shifter in the first gen wasn't flashy or sporty, but it was smooth and got the job done. The 2nd gen is my favorite shifter of all time having a leather like substance covering the shifting area makes it sporty and upscale. I HATE THOSE ANNOYING SHIFTGATES!!! Why, just why?! It isn't sporty, just clunky. It isn't upscale, just clunky. It isn't smooth, just clunky. It isn't convenient, just clunky. And the autostick feature isn't separated from the automatic model. Why isn't it?

Also, it feel less like a full-sized car as the LH cars were but more of a large mid-sized (W-body GM). I want a full-sized car. The trunk was smaller than any car my father has had since his 91 Dodge Dynasty. I want a full-sized car which should have a full-sized trunk with it.

What is with this stupid cruise control in the most inconvenient spot possible. I always loved Chrysler products as they had it right on the steering wheel instead of that goofy addition to the already over loaded turning signal stock that GM used for an eternity (and they might still use, I can't recall). Plus, the electrical equipment was acting up with the turning signal getting stuck. There wasn't a signal thing I liked better about it than my Intrepids. This is why at the last minuet, I talked my father out of a Charger and he has a Taurus (a car line it took me nearly ten years to talk him away from) and I don't regret it one bit.

Those are the things they need to address because a 2 ton car should have the room of a two ton car, the truck of one. They need to have American interior. They need to get back to what they were before they became "Ze best of American und ze vorst of German engineering!"

The Avenger doesn't fill the role as the Avenger was supposed to be the replacement of the Stratus and frankly it is too small as it is. The 300 is supposed to be the luxury model. I'm hoping that next generation will return it to luxury (i.e. no more cloth interior, no more cheap dash, no more sharing interior with Charger, ect.) and will move away from the Plymouth offering strategy. The 300 should become the true successor to the luxury and status of the LHS/300M (luxury that can be considered at the base level comparable to a Cadillac or Lincoln even if it lacks a non-essential feature that defines luxury such as a V8) and less that of the Concorde (a model that gets compared to Chevrolet and Ford models). The Charger just need to become more like the Intrepid and I endorse the idea of styling it after the 1999 Concept.

Chase, one thing I have to disagree with you on is the current 300 isn't a luxury car in its current status. It is no more a luxury car than the Grand Marquis is. The 300M and the LHS were luxury cars as they could at the base level be compared to Lincolns, Cadillacs, Acuras, Infinities, Lexus, and the such as they had many of the core features standard (the lowest car it was compared to was the Grand Prix GTP, which in my view wasn't an insult as it was the top of the line model of a performance sedan of its time, and the 300M many times won on the grounds for its luxury); whereas, from the beginning the 300 has been compared to the Crown Vic, Ford Five Hundred, Chevrolet Impala (besides the SS model), and the such. If they would have made the C standard ( or at least the Limited standard) this wouldn't have happened, but when they volumed it with cloth and market it the way they did the Concorde, it cannot and will not be considered a luxury car, but a standard car that has luxurious varients (which makes it no different from Toyota, Honda, Ford, or any other nameplate this way).

Last edited by 97 3.5 Intrepid; 02-04-2010 at 10:51 PM.

Quick Reply: "New" Charger