Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Dodge unveils the 2011 Dodge Charger Pursuit

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 12:04 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The difference from 1970 and now is the Charger was on the full size platform (I have never been able to remember the A or B or C body) and was in it's second generation. The Challenger was on the mid-size platform and a clean sheet product. So they shared engines and transmissions but were totally separate cars. The Challenger IS a 2 door Charger-same platform, engines, interior, etc. That is the point. A 2 door Charger IS the Challenger. Why on God's green Earth do we need two 2 door Chargers? Oh I get it, it's the name: "a Charger is a 2 door". Get over it! The 4 door Hemi V8 Charger is worthy of the name more than a 4 cylinder subcompact. And as someone who's family owned a couple of the 69-70 Chargers with the 318 and 440, the looks don't live up to the reality. The 440 screamed down the road in a straight line...until you hit a pothole and hung on for dear life while you got thrown to the left or right and the car wallowed like a sinking ocean liner. And the 318 didn't even give you the thrill of speed. The damn car just wallowed around like it was in a squall on the Atlantic and used 8 mpg and an incredible 12 or 13 second 0-60. The Charger was often stiffened and stripped of alot of weight and they became a street fighter. But let's not pretend the name is so hallowed no sedan can wear it. The SRT8 Charger still kicks the sh*t out of the 69-70 Charger Daytona...and it has FOUR doors.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:36 PM
SEG388
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mantisman51
The difference from 1970 and now is the Charger was on the full size platform (I have never been able to remember the A or B or C body) and was in it's second generation. The Challenger was on the mid-size platform and a clean sheet product. So they shared engines and transmissions but were totally separate cars. The Challenger IS a 2 door Charger-same platform, engines, interior, etc. That is the point. A 2 door Charger IS the Challenger. Why on God's green Earth do we need two 2 door Chargers? Oh I get it, it's the name: "a Charger is a 2 door". Get over it! The 4 door Hemi V8 Charger is worthy of the name more than a 4 cylinder subcompact. And as someone who's family owned a couple of the 69-70 Chargers with the 318 and 440, the looks don't live up to the reality. The 440 screamed down the road in a straight line...until you hit a pothole and hung on for dear life while you got thrown to the left or right and the car wallowed like a sinking ocean liner. And the 318 didn't even give you the thrill of speed. The damn car just wallowed around like it was in a squall on the Atlantic and used 8 mpg and an incredible 12 or 13 second 0-60. The Charger was often stiffened and stripped of alot of weight and they became a street fighter. But let's not pretend the name is so hallowed no sedan can wear it. The SRT8 Charger still kicks the sh*t out of the 69-70 Charger Daytona...and it has FOUR doors.
So be it if that's how it has worked out. But I do not have to get over it or agree with what Dodge did. As stated (assuming you read my post) it's my personal preference and my personal preference will be what I want it to be. I just simply don't view it should have been made in it's current setup. Don't force things down my throat...I just stated my opinion. Respect that.

Last edited by SEG388; 09-14-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:33 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, and I gave my opinion. That's how a forum works. Only the mods opinion matters more than anyone else.

Quick Reply: Dodge unveils the 2011 Dodge Charger Pursuit