Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

I miss the Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 07:01 AM
LorenaHornbeck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is some saying that it is losing its market? then still it is not happening coz the makers are coming with new and more sound models in the coming time

Old 11-23-2013, 04:54 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenaHornbeck
is some saying that it is losing its market? then still it is not happening coz the makers are coming with new and more sound models in the coming time
The Dakota lost it's market. Thats what this thread is about.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:29 AM
bigpete1125
Amateur

Well I have my Gen 1 Dakota and it's a 4cyl 5psd 2wd and it is just a blast to drive. But guys like me need a truck but not necessarily and full size. I would like a mid size truck for a few reasons they ride a bit lower than a full size so there is less body roll with them which helps the handling and they look a little sportier. I play hockey so it's way easier to simply throw your gear in the bed rather then fight with a trunk or smell it in the back of an SUV. I also own motorcycles and if they break down it's easier to put in a midsize that I learned from experience way easier to put in bed of my dads s10 over my 08 Ram. And for the occasional work around the house I think midsize trucks are fine and need to come back

Old 01-01-2014, 05:34 PM
boxdin

I'm hanging on to my 2004 Dakota V8 5sp 4WD reg cab. It gets 20mpg in town, 22 on the road and was 10% better mpg when we had real gasoline.
Weight is 3700 lbs, GVW is 5900 lbs, so it hauls 2100 lbs in the bed !!! Rear end is 9.25 posi w disc brakes. With 230 hp and the 5sp it goes like a V8 mustang w a fat guy in the pass seat. A Sport Truck if I ever saw one.
Dodge's bad decision to ruin in in 2005 by making it ugly and a mitsubushi.
I'm keeping my 2004.

Attached Thumbnails I miss the Dakota-dsc_0566_zpse8100d19.jpg  
Old 01-02-2014, 04:24 AM
DalilaFetter

then why to talk about the so near to get abandoned car maker and its model .. are there no efforts being made by them to get out and start rolling well again ?

Old 01-03-2014, 10:56 AM
hemi4109
Veteran

It'll be interesting to see what happens next year when GM brings back the half-trucks to north America. I assume ford will bring back theirs as well within the year. Nissan/Toyota have gotten lazy over the years so who knows what changes they will make. Once someone makes them 10K less than comparably equipped 1500, and with at least 5mpg more, they should sell really well. That's the reason my family owned a Ram50 and 1st/2nd gen Daks years ago. Since there has been no real advancement in small trucks in probably 15 years, it's been full sized trucks since then.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:33 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by hemi4109
It'll be interesting to see what happens next year when GM brings back the half-trucks to north America. I assume ford will bring back theirs as well within the year. Nissan/Toyota have gotten lazy over the years so who knows what changes they will make. Once someone makes them 10K less than comparably equipped 1500, and with at least 5mpg more, they should sell really well. That's the reason my family owned a Ram50 and 1st/2nd gen Daks years ago. Since there has been no real advancement in small trucks in probably 15 years, it's been full sized trucks since then.
Thats just it though, there WERE advancements, only it was to make them bigger, stronger, less fuel efficient, etc. Advanced themselves right out of the market. They need too get back to small trucks like the original S-10's, Rangers, etc. Let the buyer choose. If someone wants a pickup grocery getter that seats 6 people and has power everything, get a full size. I like that the ranger stuck with an extended cab only and never went the route of the bloated S-10 4 door. Thing is nowadays, folks buy a truck as their daily driver so they want all the bells and whistles and comfort. I remember my dad's first truck, it was a Chevy Luv (Mazda), had a bench seat you could barely squeeze 3 people into, manual trans, no carpet, no AC. It was a truck for when he needed a truck, not his everyday transportation. The original Dakota was unique in that it truly was "mid-size" compared to the offerings then and there was a strong market for such a truck, but they just went overboard with it.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:19 PM
hemi4109
Veteran

yeah I guess I meant advancements to give them a reason to exist.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:39 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I think they should have limited the Dak to V6 and limited the Ram to V8. Allowing both combo's to be avail in either truck nerver made sense to me.
I think they should bring it back with a V6 turbo option. That'd be sick.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:40 PM
daksnbeers
Professional

I read something about chevy bringing back the Colorado for 2015 not sure on the sources though. I would like to see ram bring back the dakota. I love my 93 as my first vehicle and wouldn't mind purchasing a new one if it came back and I become financially stable.

Quick Reply: I miss the Dakota