Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Follow Up Test: 2006 Dodge Charger SRT-8

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 04:24 AM
Gawyn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Follow Up Test: 2006 Dodge Charger SRT-8

ORIGINAL: duster92

"Without a manual transmission its only a pretender!"

Are you aware that the majority of Hemi cars made in the late sixties and early seventies were sold with automatic transmissions? Are you aware that some of these Torqueflite transmissions had a special gate where you could select the gears yourself? Are you aware that these semi-automatic transmissions beat their manual opponents so many times at the drag strip that they had to put the semi-automatic cars in a different class?

Are you calling these cars "pretenders" as well?

F1 cars are semi automatic. Nascar racers only use the clutch once and that is in first gear. The rest of the time, they shift without the clutch. The concept that manual shifted cars are for the hard core racer is obviously dying when a lot of racers are now using semi-automatic transmissions.

The third from the last paragraph on this scan of this 1970 interview from Charger USAC racer Don White reads as follows:
" Incidentallly, Charger R/T's TorqueFlite this year has a new stickshift gate that's as fast and sure and crisp as any manual shifter, but quicker. "

http://static.flickr.com/29/52560657_873d7bb89a_o.jpg

I guess history actually does repeat itself.

Oh snap lol, nice response... I had been wondering about those "manumatic" tranny's... sound pretty cool. Don't all the regular model Chargers (the new Chargers I mean) come with them too?

Quick Reply: Follow Up Test: 2006 Dodge Charger SRT-8