Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

need news on the 2.8l liberty diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 02:54 AM
kdh97602
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need news on the 2.8l liberty diesel

the liberty is coming out with the 2.8l diesel here in the states. Becaues it uses a common frame with the dakota, what are the chances we will see it in the newer dakotas? I beleve they allready use that setup (avalable with stick or auto) in europe.

Old 11-15-2005, 11:31 AM
ViperGTS
Banned
Default RE: need news on the 2.8l liberty diesel

2005 JEEP® LIBERTY INTRODUCES THE FIRST DIESEL-POWERED MID-SIZE SPORT UTILITY IN THE UNITED STATES.

Jeep announces the Liberty 2.8L CRD, available early 2005. CRD, or Common Rail Diesel is an all-new, second-generation design that features advanced technology to create a more-powerful, cleaner-running, quieter diesel engine. And that means Jeep Liberty is now more capable than ever.

2.8L CRD features and benefits:

Unsurpassed Power
the fuel economy of a 4-cylinder
the acceleration of a V6
the torque output of a V8
best-in-class torque
power on demand

Increased Efficiency
Best-in-class driving range*
over 480 miles to the tank
25% better fuel economy*

Advanced Operation
cleaner running
smoother operation
quieter ride

Personally, I don’t think the 2.8L diesel will be put into the Dakota. It seems more of a trend with euro cars and there hasn’t been any previous talk of a diesel Dakota that I know of.

-Matt-

Old 11-16-2005, 01:45 AM
jasonwyo
Veteran

I saw on TV that consumer reports that they evaluated the fuel mileage rating on the Liberty CRD. They determined that the CRD did not get any better than 18mpg, and also was noisy and had slow acceleration. I haven't test driven one, but it would be a shame if it didn't perform like Jeep states.

Old 11-16-2005, 03:41 AM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

the Dakota and liberty are 2 totally different platforms. the Dakota is made in warren and the closest liberty made to the Dakota are all the way in Ohio, they have there own unique platforms.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:21 AM
freew67

I avg around 22 in the city and have about 8000 miles on it right now. The acceleration is actually very good. I have owed a Cummins and a Hemi, granted its not up there, but I was impressed. My best tank was 25 so far when we went on a short trip. You cant believe any of the crap thats on TV anymore. Listen to Ford Chevy Dodge adds, they all have more hp and trq than each other... how is that possible?

Old 11-22-2005, 09:21 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

I am possibly going to trade my 98 Ram on a New Jeep in December. I looked at the CRD Liberty as an option, but in scrounging around I found that the Diesel is an Italian made engine and uses a Timing Belt. My personal opinion: If it ain't a Cummins, it ain't real!! Timing Belt in a Diesel? You've got to be kidding me!!

Old 12-12-2005, 01:23 AM
prowlertech01

i know the liberty diesel hasnt been released in new york and i think california due to emission laws that it hasnt been certified for sale yet...wont meet epa requirements

Old 12-12-2005, 06:38 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jasonwyo

I saw on TV that consumer reports that they evaluated the fuel mileage rating on the Liberty CRD. They determined that the CRD did not get any better than 18mpg, and also was noisy and had slow acceleration. I haven't test driven one, but it would be a shame if it didn't perform like Jeep states.
Consider the source. Consumer Reports is full of it. If you look at their ratings, you'll notice they change very often. Just last year they had the Ram 1500 at the bottom of reliability and now they have them ranked higher than everyone except for the GM Diesel models, Honda Ridgeline, and Toyota Tundra. When CR finally discovered that the Toyota Camry had oil sludge problems, did that affect their reliability rating? No, it is the third highest rated mid-sized car under the Prius (not mid-sized in my opinion), and the Accord Hybrid. That I also have problems swallowing. Look at their reliability ratings between the 300 series vs. the Magnum. The HEMI gets a higher reliability rating than the V6 with the Magnum, but the HEMI gets a lower reliability rating than the V6. I trust CR the least out of the automotive press. Here is a better review in my opinion. http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...7/article.html

I think a diesel larger than the 2.8L would be better suited for the Dakota. The rumored 3.0L (rumored to be used in the Grand Cherokee) would be better since they have more in common with their powertrain option list than the Liberty and Dakota.

Old 12-12-2005, 07:13 PM
QuickSilver05
Veteran

Consumer Reports has long been a joke.

Old 12-12-2005, 08:04 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: QuickSilver05

Consumer Reports has long been a joke.
Agreed. They suck-up to the Japanese manufactures 90% of the time and to hybrids even more. The few times that one can trust them is when they bash a Japanese manufactures' products. They only have one Chrysler vehicle recommended, the PT Cruiser. There are lots of good Chrysler vehicles that belong on that list.

Quick Reply: need news on the 2.8l liberty diesel