Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Unknown Chrysler/Dodge Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Unknown Chrysler/Dodge Car

They are partners... that's what they do... they share platforms, designs etc... They aren't ripping off Mitsu designs, they are sharing...

Recently it's the Raider = Dakota, "Mitsu mini-van" = Caravan, Caliber = Lancer and Sebring = Galant... This recent sharing is even, two platforms for two platforms... Most of which are joint projects...

Just like we're doing with Volkswagen currently... We aren't just taking their Polo... We're giving them a mini-van in exchange...

The main reason Mitsubishi came to us, is because they needed financial aid, and in return, they shared platforms with us... We shared with them too back then. Now both companies are backing out after these 4 new joint projects and the world engine, which is co-designed by both Chrysler and Mitsu...

BTW, if you see a new Mitsubishi Colt anytime soon, that is DaimlerChrysler's Smart FourTwo in Mitsubishi badges...

Old 02-09-2006, 04:47 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know its joint platforms....but it doesnt mean the cars have to be exact ripoffs.... I mean, the Dodge Avenger, Chrysler Sebring, and the Mitsu Gallant are all gonna look like one another....who would wanna buy that?

I can understand having a clone for Chrysler/Dodge. You have a sporty version and the high end version. But a 3rd version?

Also, the cars I mentioned in my previous threads werent just joint platform....they were 95% exact replicas....swap out headlights/tailights, front/read bumpers....and voila...you pretty much had the Mitsu versions...

My Stratus coupe is literally 100% identical in about 85% of the car to a Mitsu Eclipse. The interior is a complete mirror image...down to the part #'s.....

I'm just really tired of re-tread cars being dressed up as "new" models. Other then the 300/Magnum/Charger, the only real cars that was truly a DCX product was the Insepid errr Intrepid/Concorde/300M, the Neon, Avenger/Sebring and the Stratus sedans originally. Everything else for like the last 15-20 years has been mostly re-tread cars...and the cars that were produced by Dodge....most of them were 4dr compact or fullsize sedans. The only coupe was a crapola car that was underpowered but looked good.

It's just my opinion, and I know other car manufacturers do it, but alot of those cars tend to look much different. Or are noticably different when debadged.

If we took the head/tail lights and front/rear bumpers off most of DCX's cars....you'd have some difficulty getting cars identified correctly. Now do the same with say Infiniti/Nissan, or even GM.....there are some cars that do look like mirror images, but more of their cars have enough differences that would give it away everytime...

I'm just really ready for Dodge to stop with these SUV's and Crossovers and build some more coupes. Their OWN coupes...currently right now, Dodge has zero coupes lined up for the 06 lineup...and they only have 2 coupes in the entire Chrysler/Dodge car lineup period.....the overpriced Crossfire, and the supercar Viper.....both of which the average person couldnt afford. Yes, you can buy a ghey base model Crossfire for like 32k, but who would want it when your getting spanked by a SRT4?

Old 02-09-2006, 09:06 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I regret to say I have driven those two Saturns before, and they look nothing like the car in the picture which is most likely the new Sebring. My only concerns are what the optional V6 is. The only way that they can even hope to compete with offerings from Toyota, Honda, and Nissan is by offering the 3.5L V6 or better. They really need to bite the bullet and add Dual-VVT to that engine line, because they will never be able to match them until they offer what they are offering. I hope they are planning on offering the 62TE transmission, and retire the old 41TE and I hope they stay away from the CVT2 transmission. The 2.7L will not be able to compete with Toyota's or Nissan's 3.5L, let alone Honda's 3.0L. They are currently getting stompped, and they need to fight back with an engine that can out power those engines.

BTW, DevilsReject. The 300/Magnum/Charger is on a Mercedes E-class platform; therefore, it is no different than this car with having a non-Chrysler platform.

Old 02-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

LX?

Derrick, I see enough differences in all those cars... I really don't see why it's such a big deal. Each has it's own identity...

Old 02-09-2006, 10:23 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

I'm just really tired of re-tread cars being dressed up as "new" models. Other then the 300/Magnum/Charger, the only real cars that was truly a DCX product was the Insepid errr Intrepid/Concorde/300M, the Neon, Avenger/Sebring and the Stratus sedans originally. Everything else for like the last 15-20 years has been mostly re-tread cars...
Re-tread cars may use the same platform, but they all have unique stuff making some look better then the original user of the platform. Also, the re-tread vehicles have to be saving Dodge/DCX and Mitsubishi several millions from engineering new platforms, design work, and safety issues.

I think what their doing is completely reasonable seeing that they are a business seeking money, not specialized cars with different platforms. It would be difficult managing parts, knowledge on a bunch of platforms, etc.

Btw, you type way too much man.. no offense

-Matt-

Old 02-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

I agree Matt....

HA Ha Derrick likes to write novels...

Old 02-09-2006, 11:11 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: ViperGTS

I think what their doing is completely reasonable seeing that they are a business seeking money, not specialized cars with different platforms. It would be difficult managing parts, knowledge on a bunch of platforms, etc.

Btw, you type way too much man.. no offense

-Matt-

Hahahahaha dont hate because I can type roughly 80-90 wpm without really paying attention to the screen. I understand why companies do the "re-tread" option, but I'm just tired of companies basically slapping their badge on the car and changing lights on it to call it a new model. That's all.

97 3.5 Intrepid - While it shares the same platform as the E Class Benz, I doubt anyone in their right mind would confuse a 300C, Magnum, or a Charger for a Benz....and that's really what I was going for. Even the 300C/Charger are unique enough looking that even though they share alot of parts, you dont see the same car completely.

The Stratus Coupe was actually not a bad idea, because it looks nothing like an Eclipse. Even though I argued it as a re-tread, this was one car that looks nothing like its "sister" car.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:28 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

You were talking about the Lancer/Caliber thing earlier... they look nothing alike...

Old 02-09-2006, 11:29 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Actually, that was just a sarcastic remark about copycatting.....I wasnt comparing the two....but I do agree...they are nothing alike...

Quick Reply: Unknown Chrysler/Dodge Car