Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

It's Not the Engine Whining

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:31 PM
nsyncfanatic03
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's Not the Engine Whining

Gas prices produce plenty of complaints in CNY
Wednesday, April 26, 2006
By Kenn Peters
Staff writer
"What is going on here?" Andrea Sinchico asked as she filled her car with gas at $3.02 a gallon.

"Can you imagine? I can fly to South America for $500, but it costs me almost $26 to get eight gallons of gas," she said.

Sinchico, of Syracuse, was filling her Saturn station wagon so she and her husband could drive to New York City to catch a flight to Ecuador, South America.

Advertisement

Sinchico, who topped off her car Monday at the Hess station on Hiawatha Boulevard, is like every other motorist who’s feeling the pressure from higher gas prices.

The price of gas averaged $3.02 a gallon Tuesday in the Syracuse area, up from an average of $3 a gallon Monday, according to AAA Western & Central New York.

Some motorists say the higher price of gas is taking a toll on their lifestyle.

Robert Sherlock, of Van Buren, drives a Dodge Dakota pickup truck that he says averages about 13 miles to the gallon.

"My parents live in Cleveland, New York, and I used to go up there every weekend. But now I’m going every other weekend, if that," Sherlock said, as he pumped regular unleaded at $3.07 a gallon into his truck at a Valero station in Baldwinsville.

Sherlock said that if he does nothing but go to and from work, a filled tank of fuel might last him five or six days. But as soon as he makes extra trips, he can plan on being back at the gas station sooner.

The sad fact is, Syracuse-area motorists, paying an average of $3.02 a gallon, are better off than drivers in other parts of New York, but not as well off as drivers throughout the nation.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:34 PM
nsyncfanatic03
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: It's Not the Engine Whining

Page 2 of 2
The statewide average Tuesday for regular was $3.09 a gallon; nationwide, the average is $2.92 a gallon, up from $2.21 one year ago.

One month ago, Syracuse area motorists were paying an average of $2.58 a gallon.

While the cost of gas continues to climb, it’s delivering a back-handed benefit to some people.

Advertisement

Marie Packer, of Camillus, said she has finally found the true beauty of her Kia Rio, a sub-compact with a 1.6-liter, four-cylinder engine.

"I wasn’t crazy about this car at first, because it’s small. But as the price of gas goes up, I like it more and more," she said.

If driven conservatively, the Rio is good for up to 38 miles to the gallon.

Barbara O’Connell, of Baldwinsville, drives a Chevy Impala, a full-size car, that averages about 25 miles to the gallon, she said.

O’Connell, who pumped 12.2 gallons of regular of gas into her Chevy Monday at a cost of $37.41 at a Citgo station in Van Buren, said the price of gas is too high, but she’s pleased with her car because it delivers good mileage.

"We’ve had trucks in the past, but this is so much better," she said.

Quick Reply: It's Not the Engine Whining