Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Automakers: End steel tariffs

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 06:58 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 10-14-2006, 08:03 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Automakers: End steel tariffs

Interesting article.
I'm not a fan of government intervention in industry, but, than again, I'm not a big fan of outsourced crap coming into our country when we have a massive trade defiect with those countries (we buy more from them than they buy from us).
The auto industry (in particular, the US automakers) are just using this as the "get out of jail free" card. Now their trying to say the steel industry is driving up the cost of your car.
The main things killing the auto indsutry is: they are relying on sales of trucks and SUVs for cash flow (popularity has gone down in the last few years), they have too much spending on things like retiree pay (I'm not saying to cancel the retired peoples pay, thats just wrong), and health care costs are costing and arm and leg.
The US automotive companies needs to spend a lot of time coming up with more fuel efficent, attractive looking vehicles. They also need to do everything in their power to surpass Japenese reliability.
The US steel industry is not at fault because auto exec's are (apparently) not very smart.

Quick Reply: Automakers: End steel tariffs