Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

2008 dodge dakota spy pic

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 06:23 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2008 dodge dakota spy pic

ORIGINAL: 2coff

I guess people haven't driving those V6's there great for the 0-60 and 1/4 mi. but don't feel like truck engines with down low power and pulling. Plus most use primiem gas and if you read there forums they get horrable gas milage no better then the Dakota in real world driving, heck on MSN there tons of complains the Tacoma is only getting 14 MPG. If you put a load on the Dakota you see how good the 4.7L is, I was really impressed hauling over a 1/2 ton of dirt the engine pulled great and didn't loose much at all, it really showed me were is engine shines, being a work horse.
2coff, you should look at comparison tests. Edmunds loaded a Dakota, Tacoma, and Frontier down with about 1000 pounds of payload and the one that lost the least amount of acceleration was the Frontier. If you don't believe me here's the link http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...4/pageNumber=8

Granted this was with the L.O. version of the 4.7L but it was still defeated by the Frontier and Tacoma. The 4.7L H.O. also uses premium gas. If you were to compare them towing around 5000 pounds, then I wouldn't be surprised if the Dakota won; however, how often do people really use Dakota's for serious towing anyways. Most of the people I know who own Dakota's use them for daily drivers and maybe hauling something in the bed that you could fit in a minivan. This is why I suggest using a powerful V6 instead of a L.O. V8 and a MDS 5.7L HEMI, the cost is normally lower this way and the fuel mileage is normally higher for both. I know people who have gotten worse mileage than 14 with a Dakota 4.7L.

ORIGINAL: dswan414
Just goes to show some people want the Hemi name but are as inpractical as **** (if they want it in the Dakota. The Hemi is a big engine, and therefore belongs in a big truck.) If you really want the Hemi in a truck just get the Ram 1500. It's not a big deal.
Have you even read what we have been talking about? The HEMI is MORE efficient than the 4.7L because of the MDS. The 5.9L (360) was a larger, less fuel efficient engine, yet they were offfered in the previous model Dakota. So would you tell people who wanted the 5.9L (360) in the old Dakota to get a Ram? I was considering a Dakota until I learned that they weren't going to offer the HEMI. When I want a V8, I want a pushrod. I don't want a Ram because they are too big for my needs. A Dakota is the perfect size for my needs, the problem is they aren't offering an engine that I would consider.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:39 PM
2coff
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just telling you what I felt the power was lower on the RPM on the Dakota and I like that feeling, the V6's felt great in the higher RPM but I don't drive there so it's useless and not the feeling I expect in a truck. How fast a truck acceleratesisn't important to me, the feel of the Dakotas motor isjust mypersonal preference. Heck racing any of the new Mid size trucks is pointless there all technically slow. Now if they offered a Hemi then I would have taken that in a hartbeat, that 4.7H.O. it pointless.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:03 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay 2coff, I can respect that. Each person has their own taste. My point was that these other trucks appear to do just as well in theory as the Dakota with loads around 1000 pounds. As I said earilier, I'm sure that if they had a heavier load, the Dakota's extra torque would make a bigger difference.

I'm glad to see that you get it on why the Dakota should have the 5.7L available.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the idea ofa dakota with the hemi (maybe a new RT model like someone else stated) gets better the more i think about it. a truck that small with a hemi in it would give the lightnings a close run, maybe even beat them depending on the drivers. ive heard conflicting reports on the lightnings. some people say a slightly modded hemi can beat them, other sources ive found say that they are quicker in the 1/4 than the srt10 rams, so im gonna be safe by sayin that it MIGHT beat a lightning, but i think that it would def. give ita close run.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:37 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

no i doesnt need one but i would be alot of fun to drive if it had one anyone disagree???

Quick Reply: 2008 dodge dakota spy pic