Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Chrysler diesel minivans by 2010

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 08:00 PM
ViperGTS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler diesel minivans by 2010

[/align]

Chrysler could be offering diesel powered variants of its popular minivans to U.S. customers by 2010, according to a recent report by Automotive News.
[/align]
The engine of choice will likely be a 2.2-liter four-cylinder Mercedes unit currently under development. This new engine utilizes a dual-stage turbocharger and is rumored to be able to provide comparable torqueto a much larger V-8 powerplant. It will also meet new clean diesel standards that willpass 50-state emissions requirements, allowing the vehicles to be sold anywhere in the U.S. The new engine will be built in Germany at the DaimlerChrysler plant in Unterturkheim.
[/align]
Chrysler has historically offered a diesel option in Europe and indeed all current-production Chrysler minivans sold across the pond are powered by a 2.8-liter diesel unit.[/align]
Chrysler is planning to release a Mercedes-sourced 3.0-liter V-6 diesel-powered Jeep Grand Cherokee this March, but the car will only beavaliable in the 45-states in which it passes emissions standards. It is likely that Chrysler will continue to develop its diesel options in the U.S. with other vehicles in its model range.

Same engine my car has (2.2L) plus the turbo charger. Expect it to 0-60 in about half a minute..[/align]

Old 02-07-2007, 11:48 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Chrysler diesel minivans by 2010

Newer diesels are much faster than the old ones. My question is if this has as much tq as a V8, I wonder which transmission they plan on hooking it up to. I don't think the 62TE can handle too much more than what a 4.0L V6 produces. I just hope they give it decent gearing so then it can get excellent fuel mileage and not just barely better fuel mileage than the gas equivalents as what they have done with the GC Bluetech model.

Quick Reply: Chrysler diesel minivans by 2010