Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

DCX cutting jobs

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 05:38 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DCX cutting jobs

i dont like lasorda either. i really hope no one bumps you. i would liek to assume newark is far away enough these people wont move 1/2 way across the country to a state with a ****ty economy. i didnt bring the union into this and i would like to keep it out of it. i could come up with a bunch of **** in my mind about the union in regards to this, but i will keep silent hoping the union gets a good package for any of the unforent people who lost there job.

with that being said what exactly do industral engineers do? you may know better then me, seeing as how you actually deal with them on the job.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:02 PM
mopar5949

Folks:

Lets take a look at the situation. You can say that the unions are at fault for failing to conceed pay raises, medical benefits, or other union stipulated benefitsbut that would be wrong. You can say that management is at fault for failing to recognize the changes in the buying public and building the wrong cars ,or building too many cars, or ot having the right mix of cars, or.... But you would be wrong. You could blame the American public for not trusting in American cars and continually buying from across the ocean. But you would be wrong. As a matter of fact you would be wrong unless you blamed every one of these groups and then some.

DCX is in trouble here because they haven't figured out the basics. Build a product at a price that people determine to be fair. Give it the features that the public wants, package it well, promote it properly then change it immediately so that people have something to look forward to. I say this in jest because this is exactly what DCX management is trying to do but its harder then it sounds.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:56 AM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: nickoman01

i dont like lasorda either. i really hope no one bumps you. i would liek to assume newark is far away enough these people wont move 1/2 way across the country to a state with a ****ty economy. i didnt bring the union into this and i would like to keep it out of it. i could come up with a bunch of **** in my mind about the union in regards to this, but i will keep silent hoping the union gets a good package for any of the unforent people who lost there job.

with that being said what exactly do industral engineers do? you may know better then me, seeing as how you actually deal with them on the job.
Industrial engineers or IE's as they are called on the floor, are the people that determine what work, and how much work goes on a job. For instance one of the jobs on the door line consists of this...
1. Three link rods to be attached to key cylinder, front door handle, rear door handle. (on the dodge you are doing this blind as you can not see in the door.)
2. Hit "pic me" lights to signal which set of rods to use.(we have SIX different sets to sort from)
3. Secure rear door handle with three screws and air gun.(again on the dodge doing this blind)
4. Put on two door patches to cover holes in door.

Now I have 44 seconds to do this. Then I get to do it all over again. About 550 times in 10 hours. I worked 11 tonight.

IE's are the guys that figure how long it should take to do certain tasks and then sorts out the tasks to the jobs. But here is the problem. They have no clue as to how the body fatigues. They think if you can do it once you should be able to do it 1000 times in the same time frame. Also they leave little to no room for error. Heaven forbid someone drops a part, or a screw. Personally I wish the ie's had to do the job they create, or in some cases dump on for an entire shift. I think we would see big changes. I have yet to confront any at shap yet, but I have ripped into several at warren and at mack.

Quick Reply: DCX cutting jobs