Caliber SRT-4 This compact crossover combines high performance with the interior room of a small SUV.

srt-4 caliber....when?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 07:35 PM
manatlarge2
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default srt-4 caliber....when?

As a formner srt-4 owner i cant wait for the srt-4 caliber to hit the show rooms....anyone heard anything on price? Hope they keep it around the 22-25 range....make mine flame red w/ sunroof and a 300hp AWD baby! Unless the '09 Challenger gets the go ahead...damn i hate having to choose!

Old 05-06-2006, 11:52 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: srt-4 caliber....when?

No specific price yet.

To my knowledge, there will be no AWD...

Is rumored to be available April-July 2007...

The Challenger is pretty much "a go"...

https://dodgeforum.com/m_457606/tm.htm

DaimlerChrysler is considering building a minivan for Volkswagen in Windsor starting in July 2008 and the Dodge Challenger sports car in Brampton in April the same year, according to the internal document. The company is also looking at its operations in St. Louis to assemble both new vehicles.

The document, obtained by the Toronto Star, says DaimlerChrysler estimates annual production of 50,000 Challengers and an investment of $145 million (U.S.) to ready the model.

DaimlerChrysler is still trying to establish a business case for the Challenger, which created a buzz at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January.

Old 05-07-2006, 03:55 PM
manatlarge2
Rookie

April-July 2007...man thats a long way away...No AWD...they lied to me....oh well....guess its a 6.1 hemi challenger then....

Old 05-07-2006, 08:55 PM
04StratusR/T
Veteran

The official specs aren't out yet. Everything is speculation right now until its released. All Chrysler did was announce that there will be an SRT version of the Caliber that will include the new 2.4 Liter engine making around 300 HP/267 lb. of torque. Beyond that, nobody really knows what specs of the car really are, just rumors/speculation. If you really want one, I'd keep an eye on the news and see what comes up.

Old 05-07-2006, 09:51 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

SRT-4 Spec Sheet: Press Release: Straight from DaimlerChrysler Media...

https://dodgeforum.com/m_390455/tm.htm

It's just a prelim spec sheet, but, I don't think too much will change...

Old 05-08-2006, 02:40 AM
DodgeRam318_4bbl
Record Breaker

No AWD since that system can't hold up to the turbo's extra power and making it stronger will cost too much.

Old 05-09-2006, 01:54 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: DodgeRam318_4bbl

No AWD since that system can't hold up to the turbo's extra power and making it stronger will cost too much.

Then I guess DCx better call "Thieves-R-Us" and have them get the plans from there buddies at Mitsubishi...hmmm...somehow they found out a way to make a turbo AWD application, as did Eagle (Talon TSi AWD) like 15 years ago...wow it cant be that complicated damnit!

Old 05-09-2006, 01:58 AM
Dakota_24

ORIGINAL: 03neonRT

ORIGINAL: DodgeRam318_4bbl

Then I guess DCx better call "Thieves-R-Us" and have them get the plans from there buddies at Mitsubishi...hmmm...somehow they found out a way to make a turbo AWD application, as did Eagle (Talon TSi AWD) like 15 years ago...wow it cant be that complicated damnit!
I think the system they are talking about is the new tranny...it probably wont be able to control that much power.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:44 AM
Tieftoener

ORIGINAL: Dakota_24

I think the system they are talking about is the new tranny...it probably wont be able to control that much power.
I believe this is the correct answer. I have read this a few places (Road and Track I think... and somewhere else), and it does make sense. There was also an interview with someone from Dodge, and they were saying that they've got a newly designed limited slip for the front to try and counter-measure the torque steer.

The 4WD/AWD systems that Dodge has used in the past are far too large and cumbersome for a small car like the Caliber. The Mercedes 4-matic system that's used in the LX cars would seem to be able to handle the power... but I'm guessing it's still just too darned big to fit under the tiny Lancer-based frame of the Caliber. They would need to steel/purchase the Mits AWD system for the 3000GT's or EVO's to get the job done. But, due to the extra weight of the Caliber, I wouldn't be surprised if those trannies weren't up to the task either. And I'm sure Mits isn't all that excited to help out DC since they pulled out of Mits Motors alltogether (financial support). And since mother GM owns Subie... I really don't see them forking over that beautiful transfer case either.

We have to count our blessings... at least they're giving us a 6spd manual tranny! I plan to purchase the SRT-4, but I'm not all that concerned about the AWD. It'd be nice, don't get me wrong. But it won't be a deal-breaker for me. I can always hop in my Rumble Bee for snow days. And goofing around in wet/rainy conditions just isn't smart, even with fancy AWD...

G'Night all...

Quick Reply: srt-4 caliber....when?