Charger, Roadrunner & Superbee Talk Charger (pre-1975). Coronet, Roadrunner and Superbee (& other 'B' bodies) specific topics within.

318 Tuning - Timing

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 09:46 PM
PushnFords
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 318 Tuning - Timing

I figured this might be the best place to ask since most of the truck guys seem to have EFI, larger engines, etc. I have a 318 2bbl in an '81 W150. No idea what year the engine is from...several signs that it is not original and the accessories are all pieced together. No emissions of any kind on it and all the ports on the carb (think it might be stock '81 issue) are capped off. I rebuilt the carb and did a standard tune up and ended up with 8mpg highway although I was towing some stuff.

I need advice on the timing. My Chilton's book shows lots of different timing settings...figure it is probably for emissions and such. I ended up close to 15 degrees BTC which was about what the book showed. Is this a good place to have it or do these engines generally like a certain setting? My old Fords usually ran a lot better at 10 degrees...they were a lot easier to play with on the settings though...could reach the dist!

Thanks,

Derek

Quick Reply: 318 Tuning - Timing