Charger, Roadrunner & Superbee Talk Charger (pre-1975). Coronet, Roadrunner and Superbee (& other 'B' bodies) specific topics within.

72 roadrunner trans trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:07 PM
98dakota98
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 72 roadrunner trans trouble

first of all. i know nothing about working on auto transmissions. all of my cars have been manual. so i have a question for you guys.

got a 72 roadrunner 440 with auto trans. the trans shifts good and car drives nice until you slow down. it seems as if the trans doesn't drop into 1st gear when fully stopped. seems like it gets stuck in 2nd. however, it will go into 1st if you manually shift it down. will also go into 1st if you get on the gas pretty hard.(passing gear) also it doesn't like to go in reverse when it is cold(engine cold, not cold outside)

not sure what trans it is(727, 904, etc.) if that matters. just wanted to see if there were some things i could do to it before getting the trans rebuilt. if anyone has ideas, please let me know. has fresh fluid and filter in it.

any suggestions?

Old 01-15-2009, 12:43 AM
stormer426
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

727 would be the transmission, 1-2 shift valve sticking, low pressure, throttle pressure adjustment, adjust low and reverse band. Low pressure could be pressure regulator or throttle pressure adjustments.

Quick Reply: 72 roadrunner trans trouble