Charger, Roadrunner & Superbee Talk Charger (pre-1975). Coronet, Roadrunner and Superbee (& other 'B' bodies) specific topics within.

69 charger R/T data plate

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 04:02 PM
daves69rt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 charger R/T data plate

I have a 69 charger R/T that I am just in the very begining of restoreing. i thought that the record of the car was lost because it has no data plate but I have finally found the build sheet. I had the shop that is going to do the work to the body come over so they could see the car and give me a better picture of how much it will cost to do and what needs to be done. the guy almost craped himself when he found out it it a 440 6pack car. it is the copper color with the gator looking top. he was telling me that this is a rare option. I am trying to find out how rare the options on this car are. any help?

Old 09-20-2010, 12:23 PM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by daves69rt
I have a 69 charger R/T that I am just in the very begining of restoreing. i thought that the record of the car was lost because it has no data plate but I have finally found the build sheet. I had the shop that is going to do the work to the body come over so they could see the car and give me a better picture of how much it will cost to do and what needs to be done. the guy almost craped himself when he found out it it a 440 6pack car. it is the copper color with the gator looking top. he was telling me that this is a rare option. I am trying to find out how rare the options on this car are. any help?
Super rare.... it's a one of none. No 440 6-pack Chargers were built in '69; that wasn't a Charger option until 1970. The gator grain top is rare.... what are the other options it has?

Old 09-21-2010, 10:59 AM
daves69rt

I have not fully decoded the build sheet but it does have the 440 six pack. It is documented on the build sheet.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:47 PM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker

Double check the build sheet then to make sure it really does belong to that car. Wouldn't be the first time a build sheet got stuffed into the wrong car ( had that happen with my old '67 GTX convertible. Had a plain jane belvedere convertible build sheet in it.) Check the engine availability for '69's.... the only Mopars available in the '69 model year with 440 6 packs were Super Bees and Road Runners (termed the 440 6barrel by Plymouth). No '69 Chargers were built by the factory with 440 six packs.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:18 AM
daves69rt

Ok I checked the build sheet. It belongs to the car. Both vins match. I tired to decode the engine part on the build sheet but I can not match the engine code with anything I have found. The trans code matches but can not find the engine code. Any places I could check? I have used allpar, 69 charger registry, and year ones website. I have heard that Calvin glovia , I think that is his name has the records of all the pre 70's mopars. I tried to contact Chrysler and they lost all the pre 84 records to a fire.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:10 PM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker

I have Galen's books. The '69 Charger R/T available engine codes were E74 for the 426 Hemi and E86 for the 440 Magnum. Quickest way to tell the engine it came with is the 5th character of the VIN. For a Hemi it would be a 'J', for a 440 it would be an 'L'. Your VIN would start as XS29, followed by one of those two characters, followed by a 9, then 7 more numbers, the first of which would tell you your assembly plant, with the last 6 being your sequence number.

Last edited by TeeWJay426; 09-22-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:47 AM
daves69rt

Yea I finally found a site that had a good decoder and finally found the code. I was being told that the dealership put the sixpack on but have nothing at all documenting this. Good thing I kept look for the code. It did come from the factory a 440 magnum. This makes more sence because the rear end was not what was supposed to come with it. Neither was the rim an tire combo. Thanks for your help

Quick Reply: 69 charger R/T data plate