Charger, Roadrunner & Superbee Talk Charger (pre-1975). Coronet, Roadrunner and Superbee (& other 'B' bodies) specific topics within.

69 Super Bee

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Mopar Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 Super Bee

First, my father and I just purchased a 1969 p-5 blue Dodge Super Bee. The car has a 400 block, 383 crank, with a 727 trans. Got the car for $9000 and are planning on starting a full restoration in a few days. First question vin disyfer, WM23H9G100620. Second we want to do an acid dip instead of blasting for the obvious advantages such as hidden cracks, bondo, and warping of panels during blasting. Has anyone done the dip, have a rough price range, acid ceepage concerns, etc.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Mopar Member

So I used a Mopar VIN decoder and it shows that the W=Dodge Charger or Coronet. Is this true, Our car has all the Super Bee emblems and everything, how trust worthy are these decoders?

Old 07-11-2012, 12:20 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

WM is correct for a Super Bee, a Charger would be XP, XS or XX (if it were a Charger 500 or Daytona). What you have is a Dodge Coronet Super Bee, Super Bee was not a separate model. It is a trim level on the Coronet.

Coronet and Charger are both B-body cars, meaning they share the basic architecture; obviously the Charger has a different body styling, but underneath and inside, they share the same components.

As for acid dipping, acid eats material, plain and simple. I've heard stories of cars going in the tank and only part of it coming out, either due to previous repairs or too-thin metal. Also, acid needs to be neutralized after dipping, or the finish will never last. Acid dipping is pretty expensive as I recall, and it's not overly easy to find a place that has a tank large enough.

Best bet IMO is finding a good media blast facility, it'll uncover any rust or damage the car has. It comes out CLEAN

Old 07-11-2012, 12:21 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

Oh and congrats on the 'Bee, one of my all-time favorites is a 69 Super Bee

Old 07-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Mopar Member

Awesome, thanks so much for the info, that is a big relief and I think your right on the media blasting thing, going to do some more research. Pics to come.

Quick Reply: 69 Super Bee