Charger, Roadrunner & Superbee Talk Charger (pre-1975). Coronet, Roadrunner and Superbee (& other 'B' bodies) specific topics within.

Matching #'s question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 10:27 AM
Wile C
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matching #'s question

I have a 73 Charger that I bought back in 79. I have owned it since it was six years old...sounds like a child. Anyway, I have the original 400 cid and tranny in the car. Does it ruin the value of the car to rebuild the motor and modifiy it as I do it? I am getting ready for a frame off restoration, not that it will need much as it has been garaged most of its life, and was wondering if that would screw up the value of the car.It has 119k original miles, not too shabby for 33 years old going on 34. Is it better to yank it and drop in a 440?

Old 01-30-2007, 11:27 AM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Matching #'s question

Depends on what your purpose for the car is when you're done. If you plan to take it to the track and beat on it, might want to consider going with a built 440 and keep the original off to the side. If you just want to get a little more street power but keep the stock appearance, that shouldn't hurt the value at all. If you change anything from stock(ie, headers, intake, carb, etc.... ) just make sure you hang on to the originals so you could put it back to stock configuration if/when you decide to part with it.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:00 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Matching #'s question

Generally any deviation from stock #'s matching and date code correct parts will hurt the value and collectability of the car. If your looking for more performance and retaining the cars value, then you'd be best to yank out the #'s matching engine and transmission and buy and build another engine and transmission to put in it and beat/wear out. Another thing that effects it's value is the mileage, so you have to keep that in mind as well.

Quick Reply: Matching #'s question