Dart, Demon, and Duster Talk Dart, Demon, and Duster (& other 'A' bodies) specific topics within.

cam for my 318

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 05:45 PM
Dons dart
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam for my 318

318 stock compression, headers, 4 barrell,duel plane intake, 2500 stall,355 gear.looking for a cam with a choppy idel and more power.I would like to install it useing my stock push rods and rockers I do not want to use comp cams heard alot of bad things.Can anyone advise what would work for me thanks.my car is a 69 Dart.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Mopar "Purple Shaft" would be a good choice, it is a .484 lift 284 duration cam with plenty of bump in a 318, it will work great with your stall and gear!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-4120231/

Old 09-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Dons dart

Thanks for the tip that cam sounds good however I have anouther question.Would I have to change my push rods and have adjustable rockers with that lift.I was looking at the 280h 20-232-4 comp cam its 280 dur and 480 lift comp tech help says I would have to go with adjustable rockers arms.I think there trying to sell me parts i dont need.Its hyd flat tappet cam.I know to get springs to match the cam but all else is new to me.Thanks.Here is a pic of what I am working on.Close to being finished

Attached Thumbnails cam for my 318-sony-pic-017.jpg  
Old 09-29-2009, 12:37 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

The Comp is a much bigger stick than the Purple shaft, I know it sounds funny, considering that the numbers are almost the same. Explaining cam dynamics would take me all night. The largest Comp that i would put in a 318 would be the 268. I have used that cam, it works well and has an awesome choppy idle. With the 268 you would not need after market valve train gear, with the 280 you will need up graded rocker arms and shafts as well as having to machine the spring seats to accept double springs.

Nice ride you have there!

Old 09-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

I dont know what i was thinking, The Comp 280 will work in the 318, but it will be extremely radical in that small of an engine. You will run into idle problems and you will not be able to flow enough through the heads to support the 280's rpm range. But the rocker gear will work with the proper springs, which will be duel springs and will require cutting spring seats. I guess i was thinking about the 287/304, Lift .497/.483 comp cam.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:41 PM
Dons dart

Thanks Horseapples for the help.When I got the cam the whole idea was to put it in the 318 to break it in, for now and then in my 360 laiter next year it does idel well with 17 on my vacume gague.I did get comp springs that they said this cam would have to use and there retainers and lifters.The problim is it has a bit af a tapping sound from the valve train.I have good oil pressure so thats not the problim.So are saying it is tapping because of the fast ramp action.any outher thoughts on this.Thanks again.Don

Old 10-28-2009, 07:27 AM
Ironmower
Professional

Stock heads? Is it a 69' 318? If so, i agree with Horseapples, on cam selection.

You say you have a "tappin" noise? 318's are noted for lifters sticking ( not rotating in bore) If this persist you'll be installing another cam soon, as it will wear a hole in the lifter and grind the lobe to nuthin. I've had it happen with several different cam manufactures, stock included.

Thats why when you start the engine you should let it at least get to operating temp. before you shut ii back off.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Dons dart

Sorry guys for not getting back on this issue,it is a stock 318 not sure of the year tho.this ticking is driving me nuts.My big question is still would this cam work without adjustable rockers and differend pusrods.if so than the problim is what else bad lifters.i would like to rule out the rockers and pushrods.So its I have to get adjustable rockers and pushrods or not.help

Old 10-28-2009, 06:41 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had ported heads put in my 5.7L Hemi and it has MDS system (shuts down four out of the eight cylinders during cruise). The longer pushrods and larger heads makes a ticking sound due to the MDS lifters bleeding down a bit. Harmless in my situation, but sounds like a sewing machine is next to my exhaust headers. So, it may be your lifters,
FF

Old 10-28-2009, 07:23 PM
Dons dart

Yep mine sounds like a sewing machine for sure.How do i check my lifters to see if there bleeding down.