Notices
Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

under the hood cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Neonewbie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default under the hood cleaning

01 dodge neon

It looks as if there is corrosion white / brown and other crap on some of the parts under the hood.

I will make a seperate post but, i may as well ask here.
How should I go about cleaning this stuff with out spraying water under the hood?

Some people say using a power washer or just a hose wont hurt any thing others say you need to be VERY careful.

I am just looking for some suggestions

I have a pic that you can see a little of it, if anyone would like i can post it

Old 01-22-2013, 10:35 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would use a power washer like the ones at self clean places. You could use a tarp to cover the engine for a safe guard. I would avoid getting the engine and the engine bay soaked.
FF

Old 05-16-2013, 08:52 PM
abdodge1500
Professional

one thing to know is that whatever you do don't get the distributor cap or alternator wet. that can tend to be bad if they get wet.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:08 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use either plastic wrap or tinfoil to prevent getting water on the computer / distributor /wires

Use a gunk engine degreaser if it's really dirty , to get the gunk/grime
then rinse

I like to use a steam cleaner to clean and it's less likely to get water in the electrical parts

Old 06-02-2013, 09:40 AM
LU229
Banned

I`ve washed every vehicle i`ve ever owned (under the hood) in the last 40+yrs at alot of the local car wash`s with "high pressure" washers, never once a single issue with starting up and driving away when i was done. Spray down with a good engine degreaser, and dont be stupid with the "high pressure" wand. What i meen by being stupid, dont get to close with the "high pressure" wand, or let it sit in one area for to long, you`ll be just fine. Spraying electrical box`s and such, pretty much goes without saying. If its sealed fairly decent, you shouldnt have a problem. Most are not sealed to stop water though, they`re only designed to DEFLECT water, so use good judgment. If you think you have alot of grease, spray heavily with degreaser, let sit to soak in, then use a stiff bristle brush to loosen the grease. If you dont feel good about using "high pressure", then use a garden hose... i`ve done that as well with good results.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:16 AM
CHRGD
Professional

I've washed several of my cars and trucks under the hood with a pressure washer. I've only had 1 problem, 2002 Buick Century, the horn started to go off, and it took a while till I could get to the wires to unplug it, by then the horn was VERY hot. So ever since then I disconnect the battery, do the washing, then I take a air hose and blow out all exposed wiring, fuse boxes, and any connections I can see. I been doing pretty well with that, and have not had a problem yet. Good luck.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:59 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by CHRGD
I've washed several of my cars and trucks under the hood with a pressure washer. I've only had 1 problem, 2002 Buick Century, the horn started to go off, and it took a while till I could get to the wires to unplug it, by then the horn was VERY hot. So ever since then I disconnect the battery, do the washing, then I take a air hose and blow out all exposed wiring, fuse boxes, and any connections I can see. I been doing pretty well with that, and have not had a problem yet. Good luck.
Well, it was a BUICK, thats what happened...heheheheheeee

Quick Reply: under the hood cleaning