Diesel General Discussion This section is for general discussions about your Deisel RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2011 Ram 3500 4x4 Brake and Steering quits

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 04:25 PM
bruce@hoypots.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2011 Ram 3500 4x4 Brake and Steering quits

Several time while driving slow, like coming to a stop light or sign my power steering and brakes stop functioning. It is impossible to turn or stop. If I give it a little gas it works ok but if I let off the gas they both stop. I also had to clean the exhaust system twice in 30 minutes.

The Dodge dealer here could not make it happen when I took it to them. They said there was a flash upgrade which they installed. They also cleaned the fins on the turbo because they said they were full of soot.

I have had no problems since, however, I pull a 20,000 horse trailer and am fearful this might happen again. Dodge claims they have never heard of this problem. Any advice? Thanks, Bruce Haughey Arizona

Old 07-04-2011, 12:59 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The brake booster runs off the power steering pump, so it makes sense that they would both have issues at the same time.

What do you mean you had to clean the exhaust system twice in 30 minutes?

If the belt is loose, I suppose it might slip on the pump and you'd lose pressure, or perhaps if the fluid is low. Any leaks?

Old 07-04-2011, 01:48 PM
bruce@hoypots.com
Default Reply to Horatio

Twice within 15 minutes the clean exhaust warning came on saying it was 90% full. I put on the exhaust brake and kept my rpm at 2700. It went down to 80% the 70% and then off. Five minutes later the warning came on again. The dealer said I needed a flash update which they did. They are the ones that said the turbo fins has soot. They cleaned them and tole me that if the engine light came back on that they were going to replace the turbo. That was 190 miles ago and the engine light has not come back on.

I have also had no problem with the brakes/power steering since it was at the dealer. It seems strange to me that they had no idea why I lost my steering and brakes. I am a bit afraid to hook up my 20,000 horse trailer and take off down the highway.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:31 AM
donw1019
Default I have the same problem

I too have a Ram 2011 3500 Diesel and at low speeds coming to a stop lose steering and brakes. The big issue is I am pulling an 11,000+ pound trailer over (DOWN) mountain passes. Yesterday in heavy Sunday traffic where I was at slow (idle) speeds several times I kept losing breaks and steering. I am hoping I can tell the dealer this is the issue before they tell me they did not find anything. Does anyone have suggestions?

Don

Old 07-29-2013, 11:57 AM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seems like the newer engines are brewing new issues already...

sounds like they are running too large of a pulley on the power steering pump...

maybe an overdrive pulley might solve the issue? (smaller pulley to turn the pump faster with less rpm from the engine)

Quick Reply: 2011 Ram 3500 4x4 Brake and Steering quits