Diesel General Discussion This section is for general discussions about your Deisel RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Wanting to put 1St gen Motor in newer truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 08:23 PM
scooter2go
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to put 1St gen Motor in newer truck

So my question is, am I limited to a 3/4 ton or could I put my diesel in a 1500.
I'm having a hard time finding a 3/4 ton with a bad motor.
But I do find a few 1/2 tons out there. I'm guessing I'd have to put in heavier springs in a 1/2 ton.
I'm open to almost anything.
I do a fair amount of towing a 14' dump trailer, and a 16' utility trailer.
One day a camper.28'?

Old 07-26-2011, 11:58 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you want to use a first gen motor? How new of a truck do you want?

If you already have the engine, transmission, driveshafts, axles (complete), and springs, a 1500 might be fine. I've heard that on the 3rd gens anyway, they all share a frame. I don't know if that's true or not. I do know, however, that you don't want to run 1/2 ton axles. They won't hold up to heavy hauling.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

I do not understand why people want to put a diesel engine in a 1500... it astounds me. Yes, they could be geared to get great mileage, but it is a LOT of weight for the suspension to take.. I'm not sure if you are right Horatio regarding the frames. If they are lighter, It'd just make me shake my head that much more judgementally..

I'd get yourself a 3/4 ton for the extra capability in load handling. That way, you won't always be pushing the rest of the truck to / beyond it's limit. That would be cool.. 12 or 24 V in a 3rd Gen body... odd.. but a cool setup.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:26 AM
scooter2go
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorrry I haven't been back here in a while. I've been trying to get the AC working on the Dakota. It's working but no cold air.
So back to why a 1st gen in a newer truck! I have a 93 Cummings that runs great and great mpg (22 hwy) The truck was wrecked and totaled shortly after I bought it. I had the frame straightened, but the body was and still is dented all to h###. I beat it out the best I could with a hammer. Better..but still crap. I've been searching for a 3/4 ton with a bad motor, no luck yet. I do find a lot of 1/2 tons, that's why I was asking if they could take the weight or forget about it and find a 3/4.
I found a 55? Chevy panel that would be cool. (Wife is not so thrilled)
Ideals from anyone would be appreciated.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Cthulhu
Captain

Ahh, after reading that I understand where you are going with this.

I would continue your hunt for a 3/4 ton body, or... what about selling the powertrain from your '93 and put a nice down payment on a 3rd gen truck! Then you have something that is worth what you paid for it. Chances are, you'll be into a $6,000 truck for well over $10,000 by the time your 1/2 way done your build.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:51 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your best bet will b to find a V-10 truck, even with a good motor you can get them cheap, and the cummins will bolt right to the trans, then u just need the bolt to the block engine mounts off a cummins of the same year truck u find, and the engine will litterally bolt right in,

Quick Reply: Wanting to put 1St gen Motor in newer truck