Diesel General Discussion This section is for general discussions about your Deisel RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Power adders should I?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 05:03 AM
Troy1978
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power adders should I?

Hey everyone i have a new 1 ton with a 3'' lift and 35 inch tires. I want to add power but will the dealership know because people tell me i can put it back to stock setting if I use a programmer. Is this true?

Old 01-13-2012, 10:15 AM
jeff-ab9uw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealership will know. Any programming of the ecm/pcm will leave a "footprint" behind. Any major vehicle or "suspect repairs" will require a download of all of the data from the ecm/pcm to chrysler. They will then try to find a reason to deny the warranty claim.

It is also possible to add a plug-in module that does not program the ecm, such as edge juice or maybe an mp-8. While these don't leave a footprint behind in the ecm, they do leave telltales in that engine parameters will not be typical (abnormal boost, fuel mileage, egt's, engine load, etc...) I have heard this will be enough evidence for the dealership to restrict your warranty, too.

Now, if you still want a programmer, I'd look into H&S performance. Depending on what year your truck is, Smarty from Mad's electronics may also be an option. H&S covers up to '12. Smarty covers some 2011's (non HO). H&S also offers trans tuning if you have an auto.

I have ~6000 miles on my '11. The real weak link on these trucks is the auto trans. I am not worried about the engine, but the trans has kept me from going ahead with power upgrades. If I had the manual, I almost certainly would have already started on power upgrades.

One last thing, even though a programmer will most likely cause you to lose your powertrain warranty, everything else will still be covered (radio, AC, etc..)

Jeff.

Quick Reply: Power adders should I?