Diesel General Discussion This section is for general discussions about your Deisel RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Dodge 2500 4x4 Actuater

Old 01-23-2012, 01:40 AM
Gary B Clatt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge 2500 4x4 Actuater

I recently replaced the four wheel drive actuator "switch motor" on the front axle of my 1997 Dodge 3/4 truck. I replaced it because the truck was slipping in and out of four wheel drive. Eventually, the four wheel drive just quit working. After replacing the switch motor and fork assembly, it worked fine for a few days, and then started slipping in and out of four wheel drive again. It is not as bad as it was before, but is still not staying fully engaged all the time. It also seems to be more promanent in the first mile or so of running down the road. Once it is warmed up, it seems to stay fully engaged for the most part. I live in Alaska, and it is 0 to -20 right now. I am wondering if the vacum hoses connecting the transfere case to the actuator could be leaking more when they are cold, and not sealing all the way, and then when they warm up, I get better preformance. Having a better seal on the connections when they are warm. Another possibiliy might be the entermediate shaft in the front axle. I was told by the Dodge Dealership that it was worn and needed to be replaced. The splines are worn, but they don't look worn out to me. It seems to me that the vacum lines might be a more likely culprit. Anybody have this experience? And if so, what did you do to resolve it. thanks, Gary

I have seen since I posted this originally, that there is a posi lock kit available to fix this bad design. Anybody know where to order it from???

Last edited by Gary B Clatt; 01-23-2012 at 03:41 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dodge 2500 4x4 Actuater