Diesel General Discussion This section is for general discussions about your Deisel RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Considering purchasing, questions..

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Ryan Albert
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Considering purchasing, questions..

Hi,

I am considering purchasing a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.9. It is a 4x4 mega cab Laramie. The dealer is asking $25,800 (havent done any negotiations yet). The truck has 108,500 miles on it. The trucks appearance overall is very good. I asked the dealer for the maintenance records and they do not have them. They told me there are two previous owners. The dealer did tell me that they put the truck through Chrysler's 125 point certified pre-owned inspection and replaced the following:

Front/Rear brake rotors and pads
Front crank seal and plug seal
Transfer case output seal
Transmission switch
Fuel filter
Coolant hose

Now I am new to diesels and am curious is this typical things that need replacing (other than brakes) or does this possibly indicate the previous owners were not taking proper care of the truck? Any help or tips is appreciated.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:42 PM
Jigabop
Champion

yes those are typical things to stop oil leaks...most people (like myself) just let the bastards leak lol...well unless you park in a garage...but my truck does not fit in the garage...

coolant hoses can go faster or slower depending on what area you live in..rubber eventually cracks and leaks. just the nature of the beast.

i dunno about the transmission switch though, but it could be normal wear and tear...

cummins is a well built long lasting motor. you are likely to have more problems with the rest of the truck than you are with the engine.

typically the engines outlast the dodge around them..

Last edited by Jigabop; 01-16-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:51 PM
scatpack_69
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing to set off alarms for me. The transmission switch isn't a known failure point, but just like anything electrical, they can fail. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Good luck

Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Ryan Albert
Veteran

Thanks for the replies! I will probably go check out the truck more thurs or fri.

Quick Reply: Considering purchasing, questions..