Diesel General Discussion This section is for general discussions about your Deisel RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Buying a 2006 Ram 5.9 mega cab??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 11:54 AM
deandale
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help. Buying a 2006 Ram 5.9 mega cab??

Currently I own an 05 5.7 quad cab, and like it a lot. But I want some thing that gets over 10 mpg when pulling my camper. I've wanted a diesel for a while now. Currently looking at an 06 2500 mega cab slt with 100400 miles on it. They are asking 24000 for it. Haven't seen it yet, just want to know what I should look for and ask about? What are common mods to help performance?

Thanks

New to Diesel's.

Last edited by deandale; 03-09-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can go a lot of different routes with performance...

typically it would be to upgrade your fuel supply system to handle larger fuel demands, get gauges to monitor vitals, and then on the year you are looking at, they usually throw EFI Live tuning on it, and if they want to go further, they would go for larger injectors and turbo(s) as well as a built transmission for an auto, or a good clutch for a manual.

you can reach 500hp with just EFI live and a fuel system to keep up with pump demand. but if you want that 500hp useable you would need to upgrade the turbo or EGT's will be too high to maintain.

as for what to look for: make sure it was properly cared for, and make sure there EVERYTHING works....

common problems of that year include hvac blend door, transmission shift issues from tuning without a built transmission, or overheating the transmission, and cracked injectors which could cause catastrophic failure if ignored.

you will see whitish smoke and a lot of it from the exhaust if an injector cracks, as well as a stumble or lope while running.

Quick Reply: Buying a 2006 Ram 5.9 mega cab??