Diesel General Discussion This section is for general discussions about your Deisel RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

05 48RE Tranny sifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 11:03 PM
Scuba Sam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 48RE Tranny sifting issues

I have an 05, Ram 2500, 4x4, 5.9l Diesel, 195,000 miles. I'm moving from CO to TX and hauling a trailer that does not reach weight limit of my truck. On last trip to CO I noticed a hum/whine that increased in pitch as speed increased. No vibration or clunking. Day after getting back the truck was slow starting as if batteries were down and had to rev up to 2500rpm to get some movement.

Last tranny oil/filter change was at 175,000 so I dropped the pan. Oil was dark but no burnt taste or smell. Gunk on magnet was normal accumulation no shavings or metal. However there was about a 1 1/2" length of a retainer snap ring in the pan. I've rebuilt several 48RE's and recognize this as the type or ring that would be in a clutch pack or 4 other places. Adjusted both bands and added new oil/filter.

Reverse works great but going forward I have to rev to around 2500 rpm before any attempt to shift. Does not always shift right away. When it does shift it is smooth into second and thru rest of gears. I've tried to manuallyshift stick from L to 2, to D and even into and out of Tow/Haul and no change.

No codes are being thrown so I'm having some issues trying to figure out where to go from here. I've read about gov selonoids and pressure transducers but would have thought that would have thrown a code. Any help would be appreciated. More stuff to move to TX before hard winter sits in CO. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they don't always throw a code...

old man's common rail didn't throw codes when his torque converter was shot

Old 09-25-2013, 11:11 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say if you've got a chunk of snap ring, there's a good chance the clutches that are supposed to be retained by that ring aren't functioning properly. Best thing you could do is put a good scan tool on it and check out the live data. Look for the CVI - clutch volume index - for the clutch packs and compare those readings to the tolerances. If you see one that isn't within spec, that's probably going to be your problem.

However, it sounds like you are going to have to rebuild the trans anyway, so you might be better off just tearing it down. On the other hand, if you're going for a budget rebuild, knowing which clutches are still within spec could save you from buying extra parts.

Quick Reply: 05 48RE Tranny sifting issues