Diesel General Discussion This section is for general discussions about your Deisel RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Flirting with a diesel purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 09:45 AM
jleonard
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flirting with a diesel purchase

After 11 years with my 05 5.7 I am considering going the diesel route. The 05 runs great, never any problems with her, just started to lose the rust battle with the rear fenders as usual. I tow an aluminum enclosed trailer once per week, lightweight toy hauler every other week with dirtbikes in the back. The 5.7 tows just fine with the aftermarket airbags in the rear but the gas engine labors a little too much for my comfort at 157,000 miles.

What should I be looking out for when buying say a used 2010+ 2500 diesel? I here nightmares about maintenance etc. but I also know opinions are like, well you know. And there's thousands of them online. Any upgrades I should be looking at to improve reliability etc.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:28 AM
krsmitty
Amateur

I am not sure it it was in this forum or another. I remember reading a thread about 6.7's and what years to stay away from. There were some growing pains the first years of the the 6.7. You may want to do some searching in the forum about it.

I have a 07 5.9 and still going strong! Can't beat a diesel for towing.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:16 PM
jleonard
Professional

Originally Posted by krsmitty
I am not sure it it was in this forum or another. I remember reading a thread about 6.7's and what years to stay away from. There were some growing pains the first years of the the 6.7. You may want to do some searching in the forum about it.

I have a 07 5.9 and still going strong! Can't beat a diesel for towing.
I would love to buy something like that but here in New England, the salt eats away at these Rams.

Quick Reply: Flirting with a diesel purchase