Notices
DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Cold airbox mod Dakota 3rd Gen by herkguy

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 08:09 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cold airbox mod Dakota 3rd Gen by herkguy

I bought them at the local hardware hank store, so probably available at any place that stocks allot of plumbing stuff.

Parts are: qty
(1) black (could paint it if black isn't available) plastic 90 degree elbow coupler for sewer pipe
- it is a 4" inside diameter with a 4.5" outside diameter of the main elbow, I cut off (with hacksaw) the flared coupling ends leaving just the elbow.Not sure if you can buy just the plain elbow without the flared ends.
(2) Fernco brand rubber donuts (part#44U-405) or equivalent for mating pipes. It has a 4.5" inside diameter with ridges on inside and out and one end has a flange on outside to hold it in place. I trimmed offthe inside ridges with a razor bade so the pipe would fit easier.

Installation:
First remove the airbox top and bottom. Top is held with just clips and loosen the clamp on the rubber tube. (just want it out of the way or remove if using a Airaid Jr or similar intake it). Bottom box has one nut on top and then carefully pull out of rubber grommets that hold bottom.
Elbow- if purchased with flared coupling ends remove them at edge of flare maximizing your pipe length.
Fender mod- remove foam ring using a razor blade working around from edges (this is case you want to use it again later) Enlarge hole to a 4.75" diameter. I marked it with a marker then carefully used a dremmel and a sharp knife. (Go slowly as the plastic is very brittle). You will insert one rubber donut from the outside of the fender liner and the end flange along with the outside ridges will hold it securely in the hole.
Airbox bottom- remove small factory feeder tube( just used a couple of screw drivers to press tabs on inside of box while working it out)
Enlarge the hole again to 4.75". Make sure you leave at least a .25" of material at the top of the hole so that it retains strength and allows the rubber donut to clear the top edge when assembled. The hole will go almost from one side to the other so make sure it stays centered also. To make it easier to mark, first set your prepped elbowover the existing hole centered side to side with the top of the pipe about 1/2" from the top of the box and mark the outside small vertical strength strands that run from the hole to the edges of the box. Trim them off to approximately 1/4" beyond the marks using a dremmel or whatever you have. Once the little vertical strands are out of the way, again set the prepped elbow centered on the box over the hole and 1/2" to 3/8" from the top and mark your circle. (I did this because I didn't have anythingof a circular nature that was 4.75" in diameter) Then increase by 1/8" all around for a total of 4.75".

Assembly:
Insert the other rubber donut to the bottom box from inside, the flange end will keep it from pulling out. (I trimmed a couple of ridges off the rubber but recommend that you keep your gasket a least 2" from the edge of the flange, that will allow better coverage of the pipe). Make sure you trim off the inside ridges of the donut as it is a snug fit even without them. Then insert one end of the pipe in the rubber in the box so that the pipe just makes it to the edge of the box. Then start the other end of the pipe in the donut from fenderand manipulatethe lower airbox back into its mounting grommets.It takes a little finesse but will go.Reattach the nut to the mounting stud and the bottom is done. Reassemble the top as per your intake kit or factory pieces.

Options:
1. I made a screen to fit on the intake side of the rubber inside thefender, the factory doesn't use one but I thought it would help keep out large debris like leaves. I used large opening screen(1/2" square mesh)
2. inserting a small screw into the pipe through the rubber just as a way to make sure it doesn't come loose.
3. If you are not worried about driving through water and sucking it up, you could easily continue tubing down through the fender to the front and make your cold air pickup, a ram air. I go of road with mine so I didn't do it.

Enjoy, I hope this helped. Mine is combined with an Airaid Jr set up and (like most CAI kits)canbe heard under hard acceleration, as all sound baffling chambers have been removed.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15402/6C13B748828E4453BC935F5E6112994D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15402/412B0E335BB548C6BC6E09EBD2353520.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15402/0F9CC5AFD09645DFB87AE0B115777E30.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15402/625F855BB611486D835D2C436D2CC851.jpg[/IMG]

Dakota3rdGen

Quick Reply: Cold airbox mod Dakota 3rd Gen by herkguy