Notices
DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Power window motor repair Durango 1st Gen by Mean Green

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 03:54 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power window motor repair Durango 1st Gen by Mean Green

Alright I hijacked this off anotherDodge boardI asked the person that put it up if I could use it but had not gotten a reply come to find out he hasn't posted since april of this year so Coachholland thank you for the great info and if you happen to run across this and don't want it up just let a mod know.

The following few posts are my how-to on how to fix your Durango's power window problems for cheap. Pick up a new assembly from the dealer for a few hundred dollars or more, pick up a used one on ebay for $100 or do the deed yourself for a few bucks!

This won't fix all problems that can be encounted with the power window assembly, but my guess is that 95% of the problems that people are having with the windows come from a problem that is just as simple to fix as putting on a new distributor cap and rotor on your engine. As a matter of fact, it is the same concept.

First, a pic of what is causing the problem to begin with. Pictures below of the right hand and left hand side brushes. Notice how worn that they are. This is causing them not to be able to contact the magnet with the amount of force that they should, thus why the "bang on it with a hammer or hand" works for a while because it gives you a bit more grab for a bit, but isn't a long term solution.[/align]

[IMG]local://upfiles/37840/F66019971B8F430A92DBA1A9FE86C5A1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/37840/605B5DE818294241AC3D182783703AE8.jpg[/IMG]

Durango1stGen

Old 12-21-2006, 03:55 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Default RE: How to fix your window motor.

First, you need to remove the window regulator and assembly from your door. Just remove the door skin and there will be holes available for you to access the area. Consult a FSM or a Haynes repair manual on how to do this as that information is readily available. Your removed assembly will look like what is in picture 1.

In Pic 2, you see what we're going to be working on. That is the window motor itself.

Pic 3 shows two phillips head screws holding on the housing. You will need to remove these (there are nuts holding them on the back side, so make sure you are aware that they are there). The housing is magnetized, so just give it a tug to get it to come off.

Pic 4 shows the actual magnet. If you've ever rebuilt an alternator, you see where we're going with this. Same deal. [/align]
[IMG]local://upfiles/37840/854C9F65436E45BF8C6D681ABD46C0EC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/37840/C749DF70588140CB881447EF0A76DB71.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/37840/F91E6BA5978845EA8FADDF751BA53993.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/37840/70D47D8A661349488A3ECA19EF3EE723.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-21-2006, 03:57 AM
Mean Green
Champion

The next step is to remove the magnet so that you are able to access the brushes. You simply need to turn the magnet and pull at the same time. It will come out. These Pic 5 and Pic 6 show what it looks like after removed.

Next, you need to remove the brushes themselves. You'll see brass connectors holding them into place. Take a flat head screw driver and gently lift the connector up. After that is removed, remove the small spring holding the brush into place with the flathead as well (Pic 7). Repeat this step for both sides. Don't worry about which side is which in regards to the brushes because they are the exact same.

Next, get everything cleaned up. Gently tap your parts on the table a bit and watch all the black grit come out. Clean up all contact points. Then reinstall the new brushes (which you can pick up from a hardware or auto parts store like NAPA). I don't know the exact size to ask for, so just take the old ones along with you and match them up for size. The square part should be the same size, but obviously you will want them a bit longer than what you took off so that the contacts are restored. Don't forget to clean out the housing as well (Pic 8).

Assemble everything back, try out the windows and rejoice in the fact that you have just repaired your window for a few bucks instead of a few hundred. [/align]
[IMG]local://upfiles/37840/05A853D48DEB437F8360098C626E9709.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/37840/FE5A08FC751140D59EB56F10DA90CFFA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/37840/37650893A4A24756BDC620678969BFA4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/37840/B761BFFCCEA54DE49175716C84B23FFC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-21-2006, 08:40 PM
viperbob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this a couple of days before Thanskgiving on a window that has not worked in 2 years. It worked great!!! Then the day before Thansgiving the cable on that window broke, so I had to change the whole motor and regulator anyway. Oh well.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:19 AM
Mean Green
Champion

Ouch that sucks. [:@]

Old 12-24-2006, 07:30 AM
azsmidee

[align=left]Help !! Recently was locked out of my 2001 Durango and had to get a locksmith o open passenger door to gfain entry.he used tool that pushed the glass out enough to unlock the door. great job , took all but a minute...... well two days later , window starts to be slow and stops working . I follow instructions , removing door panel etc,,, I find my motor cable/spring assembly broken off and what appears to be roller guide for the cable lying at the bottom of the door , it seems to be broken also. First question , Where does the guide go , if I locate a new one? 2nd Question...... how do I reconnect the cable/spring back to the motor? Do I have to go to dealership?
Any help would be appreciated.
[/align]

Old 01-09-2007, 07:42 PM
wagmc

nope.

this is for drivers side front door - others are a little different but you'll get the point.

5 screws todisconnect the door panel.
removeswitch panel (lift up from the rear - held in by spring clips)
disconnect switches
lift door panel up and out
disconnect upper speaker wire, door lock and open linkages
panel is now off
push window down
remove the two bolts that hold the glass to the regulator slide. one has to be removed through a hole with the window slightly above bottom, the other is accessible with the window fully down.
raise glass and wedge it up with cardboard or something.
4 bolts that hold on slide
3 bolts that hold on motor
reverse it all to sew it back up.

takes about 30 minutes (I've done three). regulators on ebay for $60.

Quick Reply: Power window motor repair Durango 1st Gen by Mean Green