Dodge Avenger This forum hosts discussion areas for both the 95-00 and 08-14 Dodge Avenger Coupes and Sedan

Help my 99 Avenger ES V-6 won't start:(

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 03:13 PM
kimzilla
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Help my 99 Avenger ES V-6 won't start:(

About a month ago i used my car on a Friday worked fine, went to start the car on Monday the car would not start, can hear fuel pump, but sounds almost like its getting choked out like something is blocking the fuel. But just to try the battery i had someone give me a jump, not the issue. but here is a little history on this vehicle oh and yes it has a throttle body. In the recent past oh probably since I have had the car there have been issues with the idol staying at 1500 rpm's..until step on gas pedal hard and then it goes back to 700. So had mechanic look at it he did a flush..cleaned throttle..etc..worked fine up until recently, doing the same thing, but a new issue...it revs up and down...on its own, not all the time, and the idol sticks at 1500 rpms again until i hit the gas pedal hard a few times. i have used gas line anti freeze, for winters and fuel injector/gas treatments in the gas..and with my car because its picky and i have proven it to many people, my car only runs on premium gasoline. Oh and as of last year"i have only had the car four years" had the fuel filter changed on it, mechanic told me it was the first time ever changed. Had spark plugs and wires done in 2010 as well and again first time ever changed on the car..the car has about 170,000 miles on it, the car when bought had 98000 on it, had transmission issue..just needed trans service done works fine now, 2010 had crank sensor replaced, okay, now what its doing and not doing i try to start it can hear fuel pump, but like i said sounds like its getting choked out, i was looking under the hood, i seen there is fuses as well for engine and alternator/choke could one of those be bad as well and how do you tell if they are bad?...as well as fuses inside the car....ok and can it be ignition module/map or o2 sensors....too many possibilities other thoughts that were brought to my attention was the timing belt broke?...so I do not want to keep trying to crank the engine and ruin more on the engine. So anything that is helpful please send along....thanks and have a great weekend...going to have it taken to a garage my landlord does not allow us working on cars in driveway.

Quick Reply: Help my 99 Avenger ES V-6 won't start:(