Dodge Avenger This forum hosts discussion areas for both the 95-00 and 08-14 Dodge Avenger Coupes and Sedan

2011 Avenger shutting down

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 12:00 PM
bigfoot43
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Avenger shutting down

My brother has a 2011 Avenger. The car would shut down after driving for a bit. He would try to pass someone and it stalled and when it was on cruise it would run ok until he disengaged then went back to resume it would shut down and it would not show any codes. We thought it might be the fuel pump. So we replaced it and the car ran fine for a couple days then back to the same thing. Well the fuel pump needed to be replaced anyway, it was going bad. So we read something about the fuel pump relay. So we changed all the relays that sit 3 in a row, but nope that was not it. Finally did more research and found out there is a fuel pump relay in the TIPM(Totaly Integrated Power Module) soldered to the board that is under the fuses. So we decided instead of trying to fix it with a new relay, we would just purchase a new remanufactured TIPM. So far the car has not shut down it has been 3 days. I hope this helps others with the same problem.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:25 AM
guapoman2000
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Bigfoot,

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

I was wondering if you ever had a Pro Shop "or" a Dealer to hook the car up to see what might be going on from the initial start of the Shut-Down issues?

These TIPM's riding in the Engine compartment really get very hot and are exposed to much of the humid conditions assuming you live in a Hot and Humid Climate.
Of course these units were designed for this to ride in the Engine Compartment, however, the older vehicles having the Main Brain to be located at the Passenger Kick Panel and some other makes at the Passenger Dash area pretty much never had issues back then, unless you short something out.

I had my dependable and trusted "Dealer" hook up my 2008 Dodge Avenger SE and they performed an extensive diagnostic saying that one input for the Intake Manifold seemed to be shorted. So far there has been no issues of any Codes after exhaustive change out of the Intake Manifold. My daughter's 2008 Avenger is now going down the road without any issues thank goodness.

My entire point "IS" that you just can't beat the TIME and COST savings from having a PRO shop "or" better yet the Dodge Dealer that has the exact Electronic Diagnostic Machine to troubleshoot the MAIN BRAIN.

Heck, the DEALER's Machine found my TPMS's (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) to be completely off mark and that one was simple because the STOCK TPMS's were replaced about two years ago as the STOCK factory ones had very low Battery Life left so, when I purchased new Tires I had COSTCO to replace ALL new TPMS's and of course they were not DODGE.

Just some alternative views for what they are worth!

Quick Reply: 2011 Avenger shutting down