Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Dodge Caliber Alternator Concern

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 01:38 AM
mrjoshc9919
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Caliber Alternator Concern

Ok, so many people are now aware that the caliber has either an alternator concern or alternator pulley concern. You know, where it makes that loud annoying noise, and then it also makes that grinding diesel engine sound...well anywho, i had it diagnosed afterall and was informed it definatley was the alternator. Yes, they hand-spun each "thing"(im not auto lingo savvy) and it was the alternator....ok, getting passed all that. I need a new alternator.lol....BUT its tricky to get to and they say they have to disconnect the A/C compressor, discharge the A/C system, and recharge the A/C system AFTER REPLACING THE ALTERNATOR. Now i have read other places that say you dont have to discharge the A/C to replace the alternator. Can someone give me a more detailed answer on this....PLEASE? in a tight spot with money and if i can save the $$$ and not do the whole A/C thing ON TOP of the alternator, that would be great!

Old 05-28-2012, 04:32 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You do NOT have to discharge the A/C in the caliber. You just have to unbolt and reposition A/C compressor. Tho, you might have to unbolt the passenger side motor mount and lower the engine slightly to snake the alternator out.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:48 PM
mrjoshc9919

thank you!

Old 05-29-2012, 12:41 PM
tbeat

I changed the alt myself. All you need to do is unbolt the A/C and move it out of the way.

Just a warning it was very tricky to get the old Alt out and the new Alt in.

Best of luck

Old 05-30-2012, 01:58 PM
mrjoshc9919

Originally Posted by tbeat
I changed the alt myself. All you need to do is unbolt the A/C and move it out of the way.

Just a warning it was very tricky to get the old Alt out and the new Alt in.

Best of luck
that is what ive been hearing. Ultimately, i just want it fixed. lol

Quick Reply: Dodge Caliber Alternator Concern