Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

AC wont hold charge

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 11:28 AM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 421 Likes on 361 Posts
Default AC wont hold charge

Hi, I actually have a 2007 Jeep Compass (2.4L) but it is the same car as a Dodge Caliber. I post on the Jeep forum and it's dead over there so that's why I'm posting here. I also own a 1993 Dodge Dakota so I have been a member of this forum for quite awhile.

Here's my problem. The AC went warm. I got a can of refrigerant from the parts store and charged it myself. Lasted a few days and it went warm again. Put dye in, charged again and looked for leaks. Found none. Went warm again in a few days. Brought it to Mr. Tire because they have manifold gauges (I don't). Bottom line there was they found no leaks either. Thought he did so he changed out the Schrader valves but again, it worked a few days and went warm again. Finally took it into the dealer. They cannot find any leaks and tell me it is under pressure and holding steady. They'll go ahead and recharge it but I have every reason to believe it will go warm again. Another $252 down the drain. I have more than $600 into this AC and it appears there is no resolution. Pulling my hair out!

Has anyone else experienced anything similar they can enlighten me with? Thank you! Ed

Old 06-11-2018, 12:11 PM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you sure it's not the A/C Compressor?

Old 06-11-2018, 12:31 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 421 Likes on 361 Posts

It spins and engages/disengages, Zen. I saw nothing wrong with it. The AC tech at Mr. Tire saw nothing wrong with it. The mechanic at the dealer saw nothing wrong with it. At least no one said anything to me. The fact that the AC works for a few days after it is charged tells me the compressor works OK.

Quick Reply: AC wont hold charge