Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Eating through suspension parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 08:41 PM
5mtDakota47
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eating through suspension parts

I've got a 2007 Jeep Compass Limited with the 2.4l i4 5 speed MT, and I've been it's only owner since new with 4 miles on it.

Never been in an accident and it now has roughly 392k on the odometer.

I do all my own work on vehicles, and I've done the work on this vehicle, with the exception of having both front and rear cross members replaced under warranty, and bringing it to my local shop for alignments after I get done replacing suspension parts.

It's a reliable vehicle with the exception of 1 time when the fuel pump went out at around 200k it left me stranded in a parking lot. Thankfully it was in walking distance to a parts store.

In any event, it bothers me that I need to replace the front LCAs and link bushings on the front end every 30-40k miles. Luckily for me, I've done it so many times, I can do it quickly, and I've worked out an arrangement with my local shop to do it half price for a computerized alignment. (Tires are expensive!) I have tried Mopar brand, Moog CK and K, Carquest, etc. It appears as if the ones that last the longest are the Moogs. However, it just seems like a waste. It's done this since it had super low mileage. I could never imagine someone owning this vehicle and having to bring it to a shop for this work. --- Do the math with 392k on the odo and that will answer how many times I've personally changed out the front end.

I plan on trying to keep it to about 600-800k miles. I might try to hit a million, but I don't think I can make it last that long... even with my welding skills.

Anyone's help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by 5mtDakota47; 12-03-2020 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling and grammer....
Old 12-04-2020, 11:52 AM
John Galt
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can you tell when they need to be replaced?

Quick Reply: Eating through suspension parts