Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Caliber vs. Mazda3 5-door

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 04:15 AM
Syriel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliber vs. Mazda3 5-door

I'm looking to purchase one of these two vehicles within the next 2 months. I'll be looking at a caliber in a couple days, and a mazda3 a week later. I'm 22 and want a car that will last me til my 30's when i get my BMW.

Both of these cars appeal to me, they give me versatility, safety, and a sporty look.

I currently drive a 2001 plymouth neon, or as i call it, a "fake" neon. I hate it, really do. Can't find anything to like about it other than it works. But i'd be willing to give the Chrysler Co. another chance if all goes well with my caliber pre-purchase experience.

When i compare both vehicles i find the caliber geared more to my needs now, but maybe less so as i get to my late 20's. And i find the opposite for the mazda3. So it all comes down to the little things like materials quality, durability of the drivetrains and depreciation.

I do have some questions i'd like to DEFINATELY get answered so here they are in no particular order:

1) iPod integration: Does it work well? I have a high-end Pioneer head-unit with iPod controller in my Neon and i like not having to look or touch my iPod during a drive to change artist, playlist, and all that.

2) UConnect: How well does this work and, would this work with an aftermarket head-unit? I have a V3i and i have a BT headset, but having BT in the car would be SOOOOO much more conveniant for me, if it works well.

3) Trunk (hatch? trunk?...lets go with hatch) Hatch Space: I am an avid athlete in the summer. I play golf, tennis, roller hockey, softball, and i bowl. My Neon was horrible when trying to fit more than 1 golf bag in the trunk. It was always 1 back there, and 1 on the backseat (i find rear seats folding down not practical for my lifestyle). So w/o folding downt he rear seats, how much room is there? enough for 2 golf bags (stand bags, not the bigger CART bags) along with my other sports goods or will i have the same problem i had with my Neon?

4) I'm a big proponent of interior engineering. The Neon has so many quirks (note: not the good kind) that after driving it for 4 years, i find myself more annoyed with it every day. The materials quality inside is horrible. Padding on the armrests is marginal for short drives and HORRIBLE for rides of 2 or more hours. Interior storage is nearly non-existant. I'm hoping when i get IN the caliber it will impress me with clever engineering rather than clever cost-cuts. What issues (if any) have any of you caliber owners had with USABLE interior storage?

Thanks for your future replies!

-Syriel

Old 04-04-2006, 06:37 AM
Calibreath
Default RE: Caliber vs. Mazda3 5-door

I drove a Caliber SXT twice and that is one thing I did not like, no or not enough padding on the door arm rest or the arm rest in the middle.

Old 04-04-2006, 03:19 PM
Dakota_24

Dude; I suggest you look at a bigger SUV. Like a Durango, or Jeep Liberty. It looks as if neither the Caliber nor the 3 will suffice for you. You maybe able to fit a couple of golf bags in the back width wise, but lentgh wise no; not without folding your seats down. Now my question is; what in the hell is wrong with having to fold your seats down to fit everything? They were made so that you could fit all of your needs!

Old 04-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Syriel

can't do an SUV, and woulnd't attempt one from chrysler anyway.

i keep alot of my life in my car. keeping things on the backseat for easy access fits me best.

i don't care about golf bags lengthwise, i'm worried about width wise. if i can fit 2 in there width wise i'll definately consider the caliber.

i don't mean to offend anyone by saying i wouldn't get a chrysler group SUV/truck, its just i'm a ford truck man at heart.

Old 04-04-2006, 03:53 PM
Dakota_24

Uhh, I got news for ya...The Caliber is concidered an SUV,and I believe the 3 is also! So do you enjoy your car to look like you're homeless? What's 5 minutes to take your bags (bowling and golfing) inside until you need them? And if you are a Ford man; what about the Focus wagon? My suggestion is that you go to your nearest Dodge dealer and check this yourself...Take your golf bag and see if it'll fit, and if you can; visualize how much room you have left for one more. Why get a car that may not work for your lifestyle?

ORIGINAL: Syriel

i keep alot of my life in my car. keeping things on the backseat for easy access fits me best.

i don't care about golf bags lengthwise, i'm worried about width wise. if i can fit 2 in there width wise i'll definately consider the caliber.

i don't mean to offend anyone by saying i wouldn't get a chrysler group SUV/truck, its just i'm a ford truck man at heart.

Old 04-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Dakota_24

edit

[/quote]

Old 04-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Syriel

they are wagons, not SUV's. crossovers at most, but definately NOT SUV's.

thing is, i'm not always able to go home after i get out of work before i meet up with my friends for all the various activities we do together. so keeping my golf bag, tennis racket and shoes, bowling shoes, softball bag in my car is how i live. it doesn't look homeless, i keep it organized and neat. a place for everything, everything in its place. what i'd be very interested in, is whether the caliber as alot of interior storage for my papers and folders (such as back side seat storage that most normal cars have). i'm looking at the caliber tomorrow, i should be able to answer my questions then, but again, any info you guys can provide is appreciated.

and i'm a ford truck man, not ford cars. i've looked at the focus...the US focus looks as bland as the new 500. no appeal at all.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Dakota_24

Watch this video from Dodge.com; I think this may help with your question!
http://www.dodge.com/en/caliber/vehicle.html

they are wagons, not SUV's. crossovers at most, but definately NOT SUV's.

thing is, i'm not always able to go home after i get out of work before i meet up with my friends for all the various activities we do together. so keeping my golf bag, tennis racket and shoes, bowling shoes, softball bag in my car is how i live. it doesn't look homeless, i keep it organized and neat. a place for everything, everything in its place. what i'd be very interested in, is whether the caliber as alot of interior storage for my papers and folders (such as back side seat storage that most normal cars have). i'm looking at the caliber tomorrow, i should be able to answer my questions then, but again, any info you guys can provide is appreciated.

and i'm a ford truck man, not ford cars. i've looked at the focus...the US focus looks as bland as the new 500. no appeal at all.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:12 PM
Syriel

i can't watch! i'm at work and they don't like us using the computers for anything but business

Old 04-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Dakota_24

But you are talking on the forum on company time!? Hmm a quandry! Itll only take 30 sec.

i can't watch! i'm at work and they don't like us using the computers for anything but business

Quick Reply: Caliber vs. Mazda3 5-door