Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 01:37 PM
chameleonguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Light

Hi all. Had my Caliber SXT about 2 months now. Generally speaking I love it. But so far, I've had two issues. First, last week a bolt shook loose, and the car developped a nasty rattle underneath. Took it to the dealer, and it got fixed with no problems. But just today, my engine light came on while I was on my way to work. Well, unfortunately I left my manual at home, (I had planned to read through it) so I was wondering if anyone happens to know what issues the engine light will turn on for? The car is driving just like always. No aparent leaks or anything of that nature. I wasn't sure if maybe the engine light and the oil light happen to be ther same thing? Or maybe someone knows about an issue where it turns turns on for no reason. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Xtreme Thunder
Professional
Default RE: Engine Light

Originally Posted by Dale Seeley from another caliberforum
Okay... here is everyone's opportunity to call me a dumbass...

Get in the car, shut the door.
Put the key in the ignition.
Turn the key to the RUN position (not start)
Turn it to the OFF position
Turn it to the RUN position
Turn it to the OFF position
Turn it to the Run position
Stop playing with the key and watch the odometer for "P" codes to be displayed, followed by "done"

The timing on the key turning is important. Not as fast as you can do it, a "Off to Run to Off" cycle should take just a touch more than a second (one-thousand-one)

MOD1 to Dale's statement

Turn key to ACC position and then begin the process as indicated above, substituting ACC position for previously stated "OFF position"

The Caliber has this code-viewing function as Dale has described. If you're like me, your vehicle doesn't have any registered codes.

...and all that I got was a series of dashes...

...followed by the "DONE" readout.

Thanks Dale.

Tyke

See if you can extract the code that way and post the information that it goves you!

-Joe-

Old 05-16-2006, 02:13 PM
chameleonguy

Well, I do appreciate the idea. I gave it a try, but no matter how fast or slow I turned the key, I never got any code to show up. Is there some other trick I'm missing? I was clicking it between acc and run. Does the key need to be pushed in? I'm not exactly sure if I'm missing something, or if it's just me.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Xtreme Thunder
Professional

I think the general rule is about within 5 seconds for the total cycle...I don't have a Caliber, but is also how it is for my Neon. The key does need to be in the ignition----if that is what you mean by pushed in??!! Did you get any "dashes" or "done" in the readout or anything else?

Turn key to RUN (not start)- let sit for a second then:
Turn it to the ACC position
Turn it to the RUN position
Turn it to the ACC position
Turn it to the Run position

then they sould show up in the display under the P R N D ....hopefully!

Old 05-16-2006, 02:55 PM
chameleonguy

I did have the key in. By pushed in, I was refering to how the key has to be pushed in farther than it's normal resting position when you turn the car off. As for dashes and done, nothing. All it shows is my odometer reading. Never changes. I have a few other things I found on checking the codes on dodge vehicles that I'm going to try out when I have a few minutes. Hopefully I can get something to show up. I'd like to know how worried I should be about this. It's probably just something stupid, but I'd really rather know. But definitely thanks for the help. If I get something more concrete, I'll post it.

Old 05-16-2006, 03:04 PM
Xtreme Thunder
Professional

Sorry that I can't be more of a help...

Umm..if you have other ideas that you have been reading, I would try those too. I would definately make an appointment with the dealer as warranties are your friend. I am willing to bet it is more than likely an O2 sensor or something like that, but I would not wait long before bringing it in as it may be something else...make sure you gas cap it tight too...that could set it off...!

If you come up with anything let me know!

Old 05-16-2006, 04:19 PM
TUNDRA_schumacher
Captain

My engine light problem: https://dodgeforum.com/m_462455/tm.htm
As long as it is staying on and not flashing, it is safe to drive (at least that's what our dealership sm told us). I was told they can come on for something as silly as your gas cap being loose.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:16 PM
chameleonguy

Well, I gave it another try. The ACC to ON to ACC flipping trick does work. You actually have to do it quickly to work. But anyways, no help for me. Shows no codes. So I guess I'm still at the same point. Going to call and get it in for servicing. hehe I even checked the gas cap. Oh well. Thank god for warranties. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Quick Reply: Engine Light