Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Caliber Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 12:53 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Caliber Questions...

i have some questions about the Caliber guys...

1) how do you guys like the CVT?
2) does the SXT have white faced gauges? and does it have a tach?
3) how do they ride? like compared to a first gen Neon.... or just is it smooth or little choppy or what?
4) hows the blindspots and such? i know we're know when/if we go to the dealership and sit and such...but my mom is 4'11 and she has trouble seeing out the back of our Neons so... yea...

thanks

Old 10-19-2006, 10:50 AM
bigtsr
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Caliber Questions...

ORIGINAL: neoncrazy101

i have some questions about the Caliber guys...

1) how do you guys like the CVT?
2) does the SXT have white faced gauges? and does it have a tach?
3) how do they ride? like compared to a first gen Neon.... or just is it smooth or little choppy or what?
4) hows the blindspots and such? i know we're know when/if we go to the dealership and sit and such...but my mom is 4'11 and she has trouble seeing out the back of our Neons so... yea...

thanks
I have a 2.0L/CVT SXT and have found the CVT to be an aquired taste after driving std automatics for so long,
having said that I now know after 3000 kilometers how to use it to the best of its capabilities.
I have to watch that I don't squeel the tires sometimes when I take off in a hurry,the CVT appears to have
adaptive drive also so it has only gotten better as I have become familiar with its operation.
Yes the guages are white faced and lit at nite with a bluish/soft greenish light and are super readable.
The Caliber has a decent ride for a short wheel base car and the 17" wheels help.
Yes four blindspots but the rear can be overcome with convex spot mirrors on the sideviews,the front pillars
however might present a problem for vertically challenged drivers,but the again the drivers seat is
really adjustable so that to is a minor problem.
I love my black SXT with tint,cruise and security pack.

[IMG]local://upfiles/36523/C74307099BE3465E9F7BB743A88D6F93.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-19-2006, 01:08 PM
04StratusR/T
Veteran
Default ...

1. I love my CVT. It works so much better IMO than a regular automatic. To me, it seems like the CVT keeps the car in its power range better which is what its designed to do. Its also extremely smooth. 97% of the time you won't even know its shifting.

2. Like the other person said, yes the gauges are white and yes, the SXT has a tach in it. The only model that does have a tach is the SE.

3. I've never rode in a 1st gen Neon, but my Caliber SXT Sport rides very nice and the seats I think are very comfortable for Dodge's cheapest model. Like the other person said again, I think the 17" wheels help with that a lot, not to mention it makes the Caliber look a whole lot better than those tiny 15" wheels that the Neon used.

4. Blindspots aren't too bad. There are some.

The Caliber has some great options for it as well including the MusicGate Premium Sound System (9-speakers incl subwoofer), Power Moonroof (aka sunroof), Drivers Convienence group (recommended!), Sirius Radio, Heated Seats, YES Essentials (stain resistant seats), ESP (Electronic Stability Control), etc... AWD is ONLY available on the R/T model with CVT (includes Autostick).

Make note that the Caliber won't get as good as gas milage as a Neon. My SXT Sport with the 2 Liter/CVT gets about 27-30 on average but I live in Upstate NY where there's lots of hills. Also, it may not seem very powerful, but I think some of that can be contributed to the CVT making very smooth shifts and to me it seems like you don't feel yourself getting up to speed very fast when in fact you are when needed. The gas pedal is all done electronically and with the CVT, there is a what I like to call a "push to pass button" on the bottom of the gas pedal. When you push the button the Caliber will get up and go pretty fast.

If you're thinking about buying one, the best thing to do is go to your local dealer, or one you feel comfortable with and test drive the model you want. Dealers are starting to get more and more of these on the lot now so you should be able to find a similar model. Also keep in mind you'll most likely have about a 10-12 week wait if you order one. So you're better off finding one on a dealer lot somewhere.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:32 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Default RE: ...

yea we are thinking about buying one... the dealership that we would have to go through has like 4 or so SXTs on its lot so...and color really isn't a problem...only problem is if it has the CVT or not...which i'll know next week when we go to the dealership... thanks guys

wait...i thought the CVT doesn't shift at all? but it continously changes it gear ratio...or are you guys talking about from P to R or P to D?

Old 10-19-2006, 02:45 PM
bigtsr
Captain

ORIGINAL: neoncrazy101

yea we are thinking about buying one... the dealership that we would have to go through has like 4 or so SXTs on its lot so...and color really isn't a problem...only problem is if it has the CVT or not...which i'll know next week when we go to the dealership... thanks guys

wait...i thought the CVT doesn't shift at all? but it continously changes it gear ratio...or are you guys talking about from P to R or P to D?
Yes I forgot about the tach indeed SXT and RT have tachs only the SE does not have tach.
The CVT has 2 versions,the SXT gets standard version withL,D,N,R and Park.
The RT has the second version CVT with AUTOSTICK,thats where you can simulate a standard clutchless tranny
and go thru computerized programmed shifts.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:18 PM
04StratusR/T
Veteran

Well technically it doesn't "shift". It just rotates the pulley's up and down to adjust the speed of the engine. A CVT offers infinite shift points because of this.

Old 10-20-2006, 03:18 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion

ok thats what i was thinking... thanks guys

Old 10-23-2006, 11:36 PM
litesong
Rookie

Most of the answers given have been good. However, I disagree with 2 opinions that the blindspots are fairly minor. The blindspots are severe, the windows small, & the posts far too fat. To dramatically reduce these blindspots, the 2 smallest windows should be eliminated & also their adjoining posts. The remaining windows have to be enlarged both in width & BREADTH. The remaining rear post has to be reduced(A LOT) in width. The taper of the roof toward the Caliber's rear must be stopped. Stopping the taper, not only would provide more rear seat headroom, but would also allow a much larger rear window & rear window wiper(the small rear window & wiper would be funny but they will kill people & may already have). The side body work which widens vertically toward the rear must be redesigned to allow far better rear window viewing behind the Caliber's rear & toward the ground. I almost dumped my car in a hole while backing up because of the limited viewing. The front posts are way too wide, hiding cars & even larger vehicles easily. The disregard for blindspot safety & poor viewing to the rear to gain the Caliber's present styling is tragic & will lead to more deaths than can be tolerated by people of good conscience. Other cars have similar if not as large blindspots as Caliber.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:07 AM
04StratusR/T
Veteran

I don't think there's any severe rear blind spots. I've never had an issue backing up with mine. Doing what you said would make the Caliber look goofy IMO. You sound like a magazine looking for something to put down the Caliber with.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:33 PM
litesong
Rookie

Thankyou for complementing my authoritative message. Don't work for any magazine, tho. I've lobbied & worked with Washington State senators on highway safety issues. Also testified on state automobile & motorcycle safety bills before Washington State hearings. Have been named Honored Citizen for Washington State Highway Safety.

Quick Reply: Caliber Questions...