Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

98 caravan ABS brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 02:04 PM
cgw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 caravan ABS brakes

When I push down on brake pedal it intermittently sticks. Exercise the brake pedal, and it feels smooth again for a while but then it gets sticky again. I don't get any error codes. The brakes work fine but wondered what can be done to get rid of the sticky feel? Does the pedal shaft go through something a casing that might be restricting the path?

Old 08-05-2007, 12:18 PM
next2pool
Professional
Default RE: 98 caravan ABS brakes

I doubt this is an ABS issue, but rather a booster or master cylinder problem. The pedal pushes on the input rod of the booster which has adiaphragm inside to assist with the pedal effort. Then there is an output rod that pushes on the master cylinder. The master cylinder has a piston in it that slides back and forth--it could be in any of those moving parts. You can replace them individually to see if it helps. The master cylinder is easiest and if that doesn't do it, I'd go for the booster.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:45 PM
cgw
Default RE: 98 caravan ABS brakes

Thank you for the advice. I was hoping that it was going something simple.

Quick Reply: 98 caravan ABS brakes