Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

05 Caravan No Brake Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 11:33 PM
JoeC1981
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 05 Caravan No Brake Lights

So what was the problem? You cant leave us hanging?!?!?

Old 09-19-2007, 10:18 PM
ccwicks

For those of you who have followed up and asked with the RC (root cause) of the problem, here it is, not so sexy or exotic of a problem and could have been impossible to find.....

Knowing that the Gray/Red wire needed 12V at the foot switch and knowing that the fuse was good under the hood, this meant some kind of issue between the two areas (the fuse box under the hood and the driver side interior beneath the dash). Since the IPM fuse box under the hood flips open on a hinge (after you remove the batteryin the way) exposing all the wiring, I found andchecked the gray/red wire and sure enough found 12V under the IPM. So....daunting next step....follow the wiring and harness, into the fender. Good news - the plastic mud wheel well protector comes off pretty easily, exposing more of the harness for inspection within and across the top of the fender. A lot of wires but all I need is to find and follow the gray/red. Sure enough, the wire in question had a nick / slashfrom whenit probablywas installed and routed through the metal structure/holes. Wiggling the wire confirmed the only insulation was holding it together. Test and spliced the wires together witha touch of solder and electrical tape - Victory, working brakelights.

Again, who would of thoughta 2005 would have a busted wire in the wire harness? Got lucky to find the busted wire in the front part of the fender. Otherwise, I would be tracking across the fender and then into the side panel.I called the dealer and other mechanics and they were all talking about flashing or replacing the BCM.... Key to this RCA (root cause analysis) was the systematic troubleshooting and process of elimination, with the wiring diagram for visibility and to narrow down the potential points of failure, and help from dishdude2K- I swore it was the BCM until I got the wiring diagram as a busted wire was soooo remote of a possibility.

So, there you have it, not so exoticof a problem but a realtough one that should not have occured as you assume the integrity of the wiring to be stable. Through this example, I hope the forum has benefited as much as I have and I feel like the Caravan Brake Light expert at this time.

My next mission - I installed an overhead compass, temperature, mileage console along with a video rail system - real coooool. All works except need a wiring harness for the overhead computer - I'll post separately as I have several options to make it work (the computer is cheap on Ebay, the wiring is the curveball).

Old 09-21-2007, 09:28 AM
dishdude2k
Captain

hey .. let me know how that works out for ya with the overhead console.. i have been thinking about installing one in mine...

Old 08-24-2008, 09:12 AM
mark82
Default 02 Caravan Center Brake light works, L&R does not

Originally Posted by dishdude2k
look for the white/tan wire coming out of the switch.. does it have power when the pedal is pressed? im guessing no it doesnt.. the way its wired it comes out of the switch.. then splits off.. one side goes to the center brake light.. and the other goes to the 'integrated power module' .. now if your center light works.. then we have to go the other way with it.. but im betting its your switch
I've read thru ccwicks' thread from Sep2007. Based on the quote above, I'd like to know what dishdude2k would do next if the center brake light is working, but the Left and Right brake lights are NOT working.

Tail Running lights work.
Turn signals work.

What I've done so far:
1. checked brake fuse under the hood in the IPM... OK.
2. replaced the brake light switch. no change.

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: 05 Caravan No Brake Lights