Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Key won't turn ignition on

Old 10-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Chaschl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key won't turn ignition on

We arrived home from a long trip in our 2000 Dodge Caravan last night. This morning the key will not turn the ignition lock cylinder. The key inserts easily into the ignition but will not turn. This has happened before, but it mysteriously began working again and the problem wasforgotten.

MyHanes manual doesn't address this.Can someone tell me what needs to be repaired and where I can get the part?

Chaz

Old 10-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain
Default RE: Key won't turn ignition on

more then likely need a key cly and replace the tumblers. tap on the key and turn it at the same time.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:11 PM
vlmuke
Professional

I had the same thing happen in my my grand cherokee its easy if you have they right torx wrenches you will needthe tamperproof ones with a hole in the center I think it was t10 or 15 but I don't remember as I have the whole set 3 or four screws and a plug it pretty simple you might be able to get a new cylinder at a well stocked parts store rather than the dealer but I noticed that the last few times I bought parts for my minivan the dealer was cheaper so you never know

Old 10-03-2007, 07:22 PM
vipergg
Rookie

See if you can turn the steering wheel a little , sometimes they will get in the wrong position and it makes it hard to turn the key . If it is locked with no play in it then its probably something else.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:57 PM
elephants

Yeah try Vipergg idea first. Second is there is a double action cam (for lack of a better description) on the inside of the cylinder that locks up when its not intended to lock up. I JUST replaced both ignition keys on my 83-6wheeler and my 92 conversion van. It took more than one assembly/disassembly to get it right. I strongly recommend replacing the lock cylinder. While you have the steering wheel off lube the inside of the steering wheel hub and all connected pieces also. Im assuming that you have tools and are even of average mechanical aptitude. If you're not then this is not recommended take it to a competent mechanic in your area because if you reassemble this wrong you'll just have the same problem only this time it wont be intermittent. Permanent jaw lock until you take it apart again. If doing it yourself is your preference and you're unsure take digital pictures of every step of disassembly you'd be surprised how much this helps in reassembly. Good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Key won't turn ignition on