Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 Grand Caravan sxt steering

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 11:01 AM
watchout
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2008 Grand Caravan sxt steering

Good info awill99. Thanks for the input. Mine is just starting to be built, so hopefully I'll get it in a few weeks. I can't wait.

Yeah your mpg should go up after 3-6k miles a little so your off to a good start. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:47 AM
jimgansett

Actually, my 2008 Grand Caravan SE does seem to drift very slowly to the right. I'm from the old school where we judged this stuff by going on a flat road and letting go (carefully) of the steering. It is so slight as not to be particually bothersome. My 2000 Voyager did the same thing even after alignment.

As far as the ride goes, I find the rear suspension to be considerably harsher than my previous Caravans. I don't know if it is because Dodge went to a twist-beam rear suspension. It's really the only thing I don't like about the car. Nothing seems to be physically wrong with the suspension components, so I am wondering if other owners of previous Caravans who now own a 2008 find the same thing.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:49 PM
teamplezia

Hi, we purchased a 2008 grand caravan sxt about two months ago.

I have had the same problem with the "Ping". I took it back to the dealership
and they informed me that this model does this often. Apparently the catalytic converter(sp)
has to achieve a very high temperature due to the current emmision standards and it cools down
very quickly after the engine turns off and that is what causes the ping. I still don't like
and plan to do further research on it.

As far as the steering goes, we have a button on the console that says "ESP OFF". You may
want to make sure that yours is indeed off. I am told that is does something to the steering
and electronics. The manual is not helpful at all with what exactly this button does or what
ESP really is. I was hoping ESP would help with picking lottery numbers.......................

Otherwise, I love this van!! It replaced a 2002 Dodge Caravan Sport, so it's like moving out of a single wide
trailer and into a huge mansion.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:16 AM
watchout

Hi teampleia. The ESP button is Dodge/Chryslers Electronic Stability Program. In a nutshell, it's a series of controls that help maintain stability of the car. It automatically performs traction control and brake assistance to ensure you stay on the road. It's not a miracle cure for stupid driving, but it does step in as necessary to help keep control. It should not affect straight highway driving or steering on or off. I have ESP in my Chrysler 300C and when I turn it off, I can easily spin the tires and break the rear loose at any time, but with it on the rev limiter kicks in and prevents and erratic peel outs.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:40 AM
watchout

Well I finally picked up my 2008 GC SXT this weekend. I'm happy to say the ride was fantastic. We bought it about 90 miles away from where we live so it was a good opportunity to evaluate these potential steering/driving issues. We drove down the NY thruway and RT-84 at speeds from 50 to 90 mph. I experienced no pulling, driftingor swaying at any time. However, I did get the tow-package which has load leveling, so perhaps the 4.0L stiffer suspension with the load leveling eliminates some issues experienced by others.

I was actually impressed with the handling around the highway jug handles. There was very little body-roll at higher than normal speeds!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:35 AM
vegashiker

I picked up my SXT 4.0 a few weeks ago. It tracks true on local roads & freeway.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:51 AM
vegashiker

What I remember from automotive school35 years ago is that Camber is what adjusts for road crown.
Ifcamber isoff, the vehicle will pull to one side or the other.
If the vehicle is wandering/drifting, that's a Caster adjustment.
I don't know if either of these are adjustable on the new cars.

Quick Reply: 2008 Grand Caravan sxt steering