Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Van will not turn off

Old 10-28-2007, 10:57 AM
Stormy_NY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Van will not turn off

Ok I turn the key off and the starter keeps trying to turn the car over. I heard it is the starter switch ......any other ideas ?

Old 10-28-2007, 02:43 PM
vlmuke
Professional
Default RE: Van will not turn off

I could be a bad switch as I had that happen in my grand cherokee the spring broke in the switch not releasing starteror as in the case of my wife's Lebaron which has the same engine and drivetrain as a caravan is that for some reason the contacts in the seleniod got stuck together, what I ended up doing was smacking the seleniod with a hammer it stopped sticking but the damage was already done within a couple monthsI had to replace the starter I would check the wire that engages the selenoid to see if it stays hot when you release the switch if it does than the problem would probably be the switch if not probably the starter another suggestion is if the rpoblem is in the starter you can take it to a rebuilder and they can rebuild it ususally cheaper than buying one at the auto parts store and usually they give them same warranty as an autoparts store for about half the cost but call first and get prices as it may not be the case where you live

Old 10-28-2007, 04:57 PM
RamExpress
Rookie

I agree with vlmuke. My 01 Caravan did the same thing a few weeks ago and it turned out to be the starter solenoid contacts. I took the starter off and had a couple different parts dealers (Checker & Autozone) check it for free. I took the solenoid apart (very easy) and replaced the solenoid contacts. Now it works like new. You can get the parts from a local motor rebuild shop (about $10) and save a bunch of $$$. Good luck

Old 10-28-2007, 09:46 PM
vlmuke
Professional

Yes ramexpress is right I replaced the contacts and it was very easy however since the starter kept running for a while I ended up damaging the motor itself and ended up having it rebuilt it only cost me $30.00 as opposed to a $119.00 for a rebuilt one at the autoparts store

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Van will not turn off