Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Clicking when stearing to the right, Seat Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 12:07 PM
torch511
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking when stearing to the right, Seat Problem?

Ok, I have what should be a simple problem, but an annoying one and I was hoping to track down any ideas I could look at. 2006 Caravan SXT.

When I turn my wheel the the right, I will often get a "Click", a very soft one. At first I thought it was the steering, but it is fairly intermittent and it does not do it while parked and turning the wheel.

I believe the problem lies in the driver's seat. If I am driving and I start to hear the click, if I move the seat back or forward it does away for a bit, but then will slowly come back... change the seat again and it goes away. I have looked at the seat position locking mechanism and it looks solid and there is no play so I do not think it is with the locking mechanism. Maybe perhaps the sliders? somewhere in there.

If anyone has a thought I would love to hear it.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:13 PM
jubadah
Default RE: Clicking when stearing to the right, Seat Problem?

Sounds like a CV joint going out on one of the drive axles. They usally make a clicking sound when turning a corner under power. I think the seat thing is just a coincidence.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:50 AM
vlmuke
Professional

I would agree with Jubadah its easy to check the cv joints usually the ones that go bad are the outers as they see the most stress just turn the wheel hard left and right and look near the tire you should see them if the boot is ripped or leaking grease than that is most likely the problem if they are fine them maybe try greasing the seat track with white grease might help

Old 11-04-2007, 11:53 AM
torch511

I checked the joint and it looked fine. The vehicle is only 2 1/2 years old, 37000 miles, just out of warrenty. I have had CV joints go before, including on the 98 Caravan I had before this.

When a CV joint goes, it would click under stress and power whenever the wheel makes a revolution, from the slippage in the joint (The play in the joint causes the two parts to rub and shift, causing the tell-tale audible clicking) This click, much softer will only happen once. I had the wife drive around in both directions around the house (house on a corner lot, driveway goes around. I heard no audible clicking from outside the vehicle. Inside in one direction, inside, a click every now an then (not every turn and wheel not in same spot).

Appreciate the suggestion.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:38 PM
vlmuke
Professional

yeah I thought it was a little soon for the joints to go bad but it was a simple way to rule it out have you tried to lubricate the seat track that may help with the clicking noise in the seat

Quick Reply: Clicking when stearing to the right, Seat Problem?