Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

hatch release and HEAT

Old 11-11-2007, 10:49 PM
bluebomber
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hatch release and HEAT

2 Questions:
I had the interior trim panel off on my 89 plymouth voyager to see why my liftgate does not work. I pulled a little white plastic connector from it's home. Well, I got sidetracked and had to put it away. I can't for the life of me see where it goes back into!! It seems like it has power but it should only have power when the button is pushed. Help me out with this one please--it has 2 small metal connectors, 2 small wires that plug into it that are brown, the connector is white.

Also, I am really struggling getting GOOD heat. It seems like my heater core is ok, but I have an absolute inaequate volume of air rushing thru the vents. A mechanic just put a new blower motor in for me. Tons of sound, little fury.

thanks for the help, and if anyone has any pointers too about how to test that liftgate solenoid, please let me know. trying to keep the old blue bomber going down the road for years to come!

[IMG]local://upfiles/77830/95FDB97AF0B04FF5972B25C502E1D86A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-13-2007, 06:00 AM
vlmuke
Professional
Default RE: hatch release and HEAT

on the trunk release start with the switch first the connectors tend to vibrate loose on the back of the switch I don't remember where they are on an 89 I think mine was on the lower dash to the left but it might be in the glove box but either way start with it first the work you way back first check for power going to the switch and then coming out of it if it is then go back to the soleniod and check for power there at the connector if not then there could be a bad wire if you have power then the soleniod is probably bad

as far as the heat goes is it possible the cage is bad or incorrectly installed ? I would check that first or take it back to the mechanic who installed it to check it for you

Old 11-13-2007, 07:58 AM
floorslayer1
Veteran

I'd bet dollars to donuts that your mixing damper isn't opening or closing all the way. Some of this era were vacuum operated and some were servo and some cable. Check this avenue before you replace more stuff.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:54 PM
bluebomber

thanks for the reply, vlmuke and floorslayer1.
I did check the switch and for loose wires. there is power in that location and the wipers work (those functions are fused together.) I just can't find where the lousy plug goes near the rear release solenoid. And yeah, I'll be checking doors. Dealer wanted 300+ to do it. But the First guy to look is going to be the mechanic who put the fan it last week. I think vacuum/servo sounds right. I had the dash partially apart last weekend and it seemed to me when I moved the heat lever, I could see a little door opening and closing way over on the right.

Does anyone have a PICTURE of what the rear hatch area/wiring is supposed to look like? I should have taken a PICTURe before I started ripping wires apart. Live and learn I guess

thanks for the help guys!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hatch release and HEAT