Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

missing dust cap on front wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 06:22 PM
caravan89
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default missing dust cap on front wheels

Hello to all,

I am missing the two frontdust cap that cover the screw that holds the axle to the wheel. I am concern that water or dustwill enter insede the hub.I went to an auto part store to purchase the dust cap. The of the people that work in the store told me that the front wheels on the Doge Caravan does not have a dust cap. He told me that the end of the axle is to long and therfore does not have a dust cap. I find this hard to believe. Does any one know if these dust caps come in different lenght. Your positive feedbak will be greatly appreciated. I have a 1989 Doge Caravan 2.5L Vin:K

Old 11-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Tim1234
Default RE: missing dust cap on front wheels

my 2000 caravan dosn't have one either. Because the Caravan is front wheel drive, it uses a Hub assembly that contains the bearing. the axle passes through the hub but carries no weight. The Hub is completely sealed, and the nut only holds the axle in the hub, so it doesn't require a dust cap.

Tim1234

Old 11-24-2007, 01:39 PM
jubadah

The rear wheels on your 89 require dust caps because it uses a separte bearing and race taht are located in the brake drum which require peiodic servicing. "Tim1234" is correct. The front wheel bearing is housed in the steering knuckle/hub housingand is a permanent sealed bearing that does not require servicing. The front axle shaft is secured to the hub by the axle nut and does not have a dust cap. Most front wheel cars have the same setup and do not require a dust cap.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:44 AM
caravan89

I am glad that I found this forum with so many knowledgable people.

Thanks guys

Quick Reply: missing dust cap on front wheels