Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1997 radio/CD player replacement?

Old 11-29-2007, 10:51 AM
chrisplaner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 radio/CD player replacement?

Hello,

I currently have a 1997 Caravan with the stcok AM/FM cassette. Can I replace this unit with a Dodge Caravan CD player and if so, what model years will fit mine?

Thanks!

Chris

Old 11-29-2007, 11:46 AM
dishdude2k
Captain
Default RE: 1997 radio/CD player replacement?

up to a 2001 will fit in this van w/o modification of wiring.. i had a cd player in my truck.. and replaced it with an aftermarket .. my caravan cd player went on the blink.. and i swapped em perfectly.. just before that tho i had a 93 jeep and that cd player fit in the 99 caravan and the 01 ram w/o any problems
only problem is.. older versions (the one from the jeep) didnt play burned cd's.. so i used the one from the truck

Old 11-29-2007, 12:31 PM
vlmuke
Professional

if you can get a factory cd player resonably cheap I would go that route and it is safer that way as no one really wants a factory radio I see them quite often on ebay for around a 150.00 try the local boneyard or a car stereo place as sometime they will resell the take outs but if you can't you can very easily install an aftermarket one all you need to do is buy a faceplate kit and a wiring adapter its really easy and theywill cost around 20 bucks for bothand looks nice when done

Old 11-30-2007, 05:02 AM
caravan89

vimuke is on the money. He is right. It is very easy to install an aftermarket component. I had a casette player on my 1989 Doge Caravan and I installed a CD player. I didn't have any experience in intalling radio on cars. I purchased an installation kit (harness + face plate) and it was very easy to install. You have to make sure that the wires match in colors. Besides, if you check the small words in each wire it would state wether it belong to the left speaker, right speaker ect.Make sure that you connect the black wire ( ground wire) to a good ground area, such as a clean metal part in you car. I saved lots of money by installing the component my self. And, Ilearned a new hobby.I got the information on how to install a car radio on line. Good Luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 radio/CD player replacement?