Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan - s. belt tensioner

Old 12-27-2007, 02:31 PM
wordlarry
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan - s. belt tensioner

I think my wife's van needs a new serpentine belt tensioner assembly as her belt just slipped off pulley and its no longer "running true"....

I've gotten new assembly (tensioner base w/ pulley) but cannot gain access to the nut that holds the assembly and its stud in place as its on the back side, top of the 3.8l gas engine.

Any ideas of how to R&R this assembly....

Thanks

Larry
Ga.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:48 AM
dredwin
Default RE: 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan - s. belt tensioner

Larry...I am also in the process of trying to replace my tensioner (and idler pulley since something is squeaking and I figured it was one of the pulley bearings). It wasn't in my Chilton manual and hoped to find the answer on this site.

Here is what I found on WikiAnswers: (it isn't overly helpful but it sounds like you access it from the bottom w/ a 15 MM socket...althought I doubt 2 - 3" extensions is possible...)

How do you replace the Serpentine Belt Tensioner on a 1998 Dodge Caravan?

[/align]

Answer
I have a grand caravan, with a 3.8l engine.
The s-belt slipped off on my way to work, and I went to put pressure on the tensioner, and the bolt snapped in half.
I drove the van up on ramps, and was able to access the 15mm nut on the back of the tensioner. I went to O'Riley auto parts and they showed me the replacment, and then it was a snap. I used a 3/8" ratchet with the 15mm socket and two 3" extensions. It came right off, and the other one went on easily. I had a 2x2 piece of wood that I used to help hold the tensioner in place, while I worked from the back side.

[/align]

V Belts[/align][/ul][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]

Old 01-01-2008, 11:10 PM
next2pool
Professional
Default RE: 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan - s. belt tensioner

I replaced mine from underneath the van and it was quite easy once you feel the nut and get a socket on it--blind. Another way is to remove the alternator, and you can the get at the nut from the top.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan - s. belt tensioner